Chapter 30

Asta’s P.O.V

Ugh!

"What is it Kento?"

There better be a good reason why my vice-captain barged into my room at this hour.

"We just got informed that there'll be a welcoming ceremony for our guests from Staria soon."

Are you serious right now?

"Does that mean I have to come too? I really didn't want to see those people again especially after they were so persistent to find out about me.”

"Well, you are expected to attend since you're a captain."

Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge. Damn it responsibility! How the hell am I supposed to get out of this?

Light bulb

"Heeeeeeey Kentoooo…."

"No, I don't like that tone Captain."
"Would you be so kind as to fill in for me again?"

"No, we are both expected to make an appearance. So stop whining, you're our captain. Man up."

Aww man

"Ouch, you're so harsh."

"I'm only harsh when it's needed, one more question. What's that thing there?"

He pointed at Liebe who was snoring quite loudly for a guy his size.

"Oh that, just a little bug I found."

"So you gave it a bed?"

"Yeah, now it's a bed-bug. HAHA!"

Kento just had a deadpan expression.

Sigh “Keep your bad puns to yourself. I'll get going now, breakfast is done in about 25 minutes. Don’t you dare skip. And don’t forget, there is a dungeon exploration mission assigned to you alongside another squad."

"Yup, bye."

*

The morning went as usual, chaos everywhere with Leo tackling me with food. Yeah, the usual. I was taking a short walk through the forest with one particular destination; My secret safe space.

Today was my day off, sometimes I do spend time with friends or hang out with Mereoleona on her hunting expedition, but I have one thing I want to do alone.

It's been a few weeks since my birthday has passed and the harvest festival was nearing. The beautiful warm-coloured leaves falling off of the trees, I love autumn. It's a time where things come to an end before new life starts. Though I may not have been born in this season, I still love it.
I was standing before a big oak tree. I took a deep breath and put my hand on the stem. Slowly, but surely it made a small hole.

When it was finally opened up enough, I went in. I closed the hole and took off my mask. I chuckled to myself, when did I create this place? Seven, maybe eight years ago?
I walked a bit deeper in the cave before stopping. There before me were two badly put-together crosses made by a younger me. The crosses were sticking out of a tiny heap of dirt. I kneeled down before them and created two flowers and laid them down on the dirt piles.

"Hi mom, hi dad. I know that I haven't visited in a while, but I've been working very hard. You two may still be out there and if you are please come see me. I could introduce you to dad, he's the wizard King and he's been taking good care of me. I could show you around and we-we could do fun family stuff. Sniff  I'm sorry, I'm crying again. It's just that I want to know why you left me, did you not want me?"