Chapter 45

Asta’s P.O.V

After her unique welcoming message she composed herself and changed her posture. She gave off a more serious air and with that the real interrogation began.

The lights flickered above me as I hung my cloak on the coat stand. A small walled-off room with a table in the middle being the only thing that separated us two. Sitting there she stared at me only for me to stare back. No words were said, but both of us knew that this wouldn't end fast.

As I sat down across from her a thought crossed my mind. For what reason did she specifically want to meet me, or more accurately Asta? There is nothing inherently special about me, just a knucklehead as some would say.

The lone lightbulb hanging above us illuminated the room with a dim glow. I slide over a file, containing the queries of the captains pertaining to the Midnight Sun and their attack. She opened it and looked at me, a grin creeped up on her face as she slid it back.

"I might answer some of the questions if you listen to my demands". The words uttered broke the silence that we had remained in until now.

A closer glance at her revealed a slight glint in her eyes, as if challenging me. Luring you in with a harmless appearance until you eventually get stuck in her trap.

Dangerous.

"Your demands are egregious." From what Marx had told me her demands mostly consisted of being able to experiment on me.

"Not as much as yours. Asking me to betray my own people is in itself outrageous, so I just matched you guys' weirdness."

I picked up the file and left the room, I could hear her snicker behind me as I closed the door. Marx was there waiting for me, but I couldn't find any words to say. I had to think about a compromise that would be accepted by both parties. I went to father's office and returned the file to him.

"She is not going to accept our demands, that was obvious from the start."

"That was to be expected." He took the file in his hands and flipped through it.

"Then did you just send me on to fight an already lost battle?" I was perplexed at the whole situation.

"No, now you know what to expect going forth. I gave you the file to see how she would react. Make a demand of her own, refuse outright or give false information. There may even have been a possibility where she had a curse placed upon her. You're good at being a leader and have all of the physical requirements to be a magic knight."

"But?"

"The only problem is that you struggle with diplomacy and taking advantage of the situation to get what you want. You're still inexperienced and a child in that regard, which isn't bad in itself, but you will have to learn going forward."

"I think I'm plenty capable of making connections with others, even in a serious setting."

"Asta, that is not what I meant. I know you're good at forming relationships with people, what I mean is that you can't use those relationships to their fullest. Sometimes you need to form a relationship purely based on what benefits you can offer each other. That's what you struggle with."

"If that's how it is then I'll show you that you're wrong."

I heard him sigh as I walked away. Is this not our second argument this week? It's frustrating, I don't know what to do lately. I feel the pendant sway under my shirt as I pace through the halls, back to Sally. I want to apologize, but I don't know why. I didn't do anything wrong.

"What's on your mind hmm?"

As soon as I open the door she's ready to talk. The mood had changed.

"Something which doesn't concern you."

"Aw, you know I was thinking when you were gone. Isn't it strange that a newbie recruit gets to interrogate me? I knew you were special, but to what extent?"

"I'm not a newbie recruit, I've already established myself as a magic knight.”

"You're strange, I like it, you remind me of my leader. I think he's confused about who he is. He always has this sadness around him, but he never tells us. He'd like you, so why don't you join us?"

"Not happening and you're wrong. I know myself very well."

"Sure. So, I gave you information on my leader now, what do I get I return?"

"That wasn't useful information."

"Oh, if only you knew. Then how about this. Instead of betraying my people, I'll join the magic knights."

Mind Blank

‘What the fuck? Wouldn’t her joining the magic knights be considered as betraying her people?? The hell is this logic?’

"You should look at your face, it's quite funny."

"That absolutely will-"

"That would be interesting."

Leaning against the doorframe stood father. Next to him is a baffled Marx.

"Pardon?"

"I said it would be interesting if she joined our ranks."

I stood up and walked towards him. Is he out of his mind?

"Your highness, could I request a moment of your time?"

"Well, of course good sir."

We stepped away just enough so that she could not hear our whispers.

"What is the meaning of this? Why would you let her join the magic knights?"

"She herself offered it, she's cooperative. She will be a good asset and when the time comes, she may even reveal the necessary information herself."

"And what happens when she betrays us?"

"Let Gordon put a curse on her. She will have the choice to escape, but there'll be no guarantee of survival."

I did not expect such an answer from him. That itself is just brutal. We shouldn't stoop so low as to resort to such measures.

"This is needed. We won't outright harm her and even give her some freedom. Doing the right thing doesn't always mean using the right methods."

"And who's squad will she join?"

"Haha, you already know who's."

I walked back and sat down.

"So?"

"You mean the Grey Hounds."

"Smart decision on your side."

It wasn't much of my decision to begin with. Damn old man is way too cunning.