Chapter 20

On the day of the Magic Knight’s Exam -

~ In the Captain’s Meeting Room ~

“Is this really a good idea?”
All the Captains looked at each other, wondering if their decision to let Asta ‘participate’ in the exam was a good idea. There was a chance that Asta might run into his past ‘brother’ and then all hell would break loose if he even tried anything. Fuegoleon sighed and rubbed the back of his head.

“Well it’s too late for regrets. We’ll just have to hope that they won’t run into each other.”

But at the back of their minds, they knew that it wouldn’t go smoothly as they hoped.

~At the Entrance Exam~
Asta was lining up along with a dozen other people who were going to try to get in the magic knights. Amongst the line of people, it would be a little hard to spot Asta because of his short stature. The line started moving and Asta felt butterflies in his stomach. He got to participate in the magic Knight’s Exam even though he was already a captain. But he didn’t even take the exam as a magic knight to begin with so this is a new experience for him.

“Next!”

Asta perked up at the sound of the attendant’s voice and quickly went up to the counter, feeling very excited.

“Your Grimoire?”

The attendant didn’t even bother to look at him.

“Here you go sir!”

Asta happily shoved his grimoire close to the attendant’s face which made him flinch back a little.

“Alright, you’re No.149. Go wait inside the arena.”

The attendant waved his hand dismissively and Asta beamed before jogging inside the arena.

If you’re wondering why the attendant didn’t seem surprised by his grimoire, it’s because earlier, his vice-captain had cast an illusory spell to make his grimoire like any other average three-leaf grimoire. Who the vice-captain is? You’ll see. Looking around the arena, he found so many different people roaming around the arena, some obviously nobles and a small handful of commoners. So far, he hasn’t seen Yuno anywhere, maybe he’ll find him later. Suddenly, a bunch of black birds came flying through the air and went straight for the people. Some had a lot of birds pecking at them while others had only a few.

Asta recognised these birds: they were the anti-magic birds. Depending on how much mana a person has, more of them would attack a person with less mana and they tend to avoid people who have a large amount of mana. Obviously, none of the cam to him besides one who had a bored look on its face.

“Oh Nero. You decided to come along too huh?”

The said black bird just nestled in his hair. The people around him started to whisper.

“Did you see that? None of the anti-magic birds came to him besides one!”

“Who is that? He looks like a commoner”

Asta rolled his eyes at those comments, having heard over a dozen times directed to himself. He was sick and tired of the discrimination against commoners. I mean they’re literally humans themselves, so why look down on people because they have less money and mana then yourselves? Just because you have more money or talent, doesn’t mean you’re a better person. You could have everything in the world but no one around who cares, but the person who has nothing but everyone who cares for them would be the happiest man alive. (Note: This s also regarding real life problems of discrimination and I hope someday, this would cease and we could live together as friends or peacefully or both.)

At one side of the arena, Asta heard whispering louder than what he was hearing now.

“Look, he doesn’t even have a single bird around him.”

“But he’s just a commoner!”

“Isn’t that the guy with the four-leaf grimoire?”

That last comment made Asta’s ears perk up. He went through the crowd until he came across the one person he was looking for.

Yuno

He has grown taller from the last time he saw him. His stoic face shows no compassion, but his eyes definitely were filled with annoyance. Yuno turned to Asta and a look of surprise flashed through his face before turning back into that stone cold mask he puts on. A deep frown formed as he looked at Asta. The two were having an intense staring contest before Asta was the first to speak up.

“Yo Yuno! It’s been a while.”

“Not long enough. I’m surprised you’re here considering that you don’t even have an ounce of magic inside you. What did you do, steal someone else’s grimoire to get here?”

His tone was so icy that it practically froze the air coming out of his mouth. But Asta remained unfazed by this, a smile still on his face. He walked up closer to him, even though he was shorter, he didn’t back down.

“What about you, Yuno? Did you paint an extra leaf on your grimoire just to prance around bragging about how good you are? Or maybe you never got one and decided to just add a four-leaf symbol on some random book. It’s alright, I know you tried your best.”

Asta gave a sympathetic pat on Yuno’s shoulder and he smacked it away. His eyes were as hard as stone with an icy look that was condescending. Every word that came out afterwards were stoic and bitter.

“You might have entered the exam, but you won’t pass. You’re still the same magicless boy I knew. Just give up already and accept the fact that you could never be the best.”

“We’ll see about that.”

Asta smirked, refusing to back down.
Then, a gong rang out through the arena, startling the anti-magic birds and them flying away due to multiple strong mana signatures coming their way. 10 people came out from above the alcove and everyone cheered. The two boys stepped away from each other and diverted their attention to the alcove.

“It’s the Magic Knight’s Captains!”

“That’s Captain Vangeance, the person rumoured to be the next Wizard King!”

“Look at the Blue Roses’ Captain! She’s beautiful!”

“It’s the Grey Hounds Captain! He’s sooooo mysterious!”

Murmurs ran through the crowd until William cleared his throat, silencing the crowd immediately.

“Welcome all to the Magic Knights Exam, where you’ll all be tested for you skills and powers to see if you would be accepted to the Magic Knights. There are ten squads overall; The Golden Dawn, The Silver Eagles, The Crimson Lion, The Blue Roses, The Aqua Deer, The Green Mantis, The Purple Orcas, The Coral Peacocks, The Black Bulls and The Grey Hounds. We will be observing your skills to see if you are skilled enough to enter the Magic Knights and protect the kingdom.”

William continued on and Asta went up to Yuno, whispering something that shocked him

“You have no idea what I’m capable of now, so don’t even get ahead of yourself, you cocky prick. See you on the battlefield.”

With a smirk, Asta walked off, disappearing in the crows, leaving Yuno baffled with cold sweat dripping from his neck.

‘Just who does he think he is?’

“And with all that’s said, Let the test, Begin!”

Written by: Marvelmyst