Chapter 15

Narrator’s P.O.V

Checking back with the children, it seems like they're about to eat lunch.

Mereoleona’s P.O.V.

It was lunch time everyone got a menu from the maid and started to look over it. I was the first to order, a big rare steak with every chili sauce and peppers within our reach. And of course my dunce of a little brother asked for the same thing. Stupid rascal probably wont be able to handle it, but I think we all need the laugh now, so I’ll stay quiet. Mimosa asked for a salad while Noelle asked for a salmon steak. And then came Asta, he looked at the menu conflicted as if he didn't know what he was reading. After a minute or so he looked up at me with tears forming in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Mereo, but I don't know what all of this stuff means."

He looked so upset and scared, as if I'd hurt because he didn't know. I walked up to him and crouched down to be at the same level as him. He still looked scared so I went to pet his hair, but he flinched away from my touch. His behaviour seems strange when it comes to household things, as if he’s scared of something.  I'll have to talk to Julius about this.

I sighed and grabbed his menu, I asked him what type of flavors he liked and if he was okay with eating meat. In the end I ordered for him, a classic BLT sandwich should do the trick.

After we ate I still thought about what happened, should I ask Asta himself? Would he be comfortable telling me? Did something happen to him? Does he not trust me anough to tell me? DOES HE EVEN LIKE ME? (not in that way ya perverts) Ugh, enough questions! I just need to relieve my stress somewhere. And I know just the place, normally I'd burn down some targets or something like that, but not this time; this time I'm gonna take a nice, long, relaxing bath.

I called all the brats over, including Fuego and Krisch. I told them my plans and the kids started having sparkles for eyes while the older ones seemed to sigh in relief. We went to our family compounds hot spring and split up: me, Mimosa and Noelle headed to the female area while the boys went to their respective areas.

It wasn't long after we entered the bath that I heard Leo scream and possibly cannonball into the bath. I couldn't help but chuckle at his antics, at times like these I'm great full to have this amazing family, even if we’re a bit dysfunctional. Mimosa and Noelle were swimming around because the water was to deep for them. Noelle tried to form a water bubble with her magic, but it burst the instant she formed it. Maybe I'll help her with magic control, we'll see.

I heard Fuego and Krisch discussing their sparring match, giving each other some feedback while Leo seemingly scared them both due to their suprised yells and sudden splash of water. As they recovered from the shock I heard Fuego call for Asta to join them and it seems like Asta is acting the same way he did at lunch. I could hear his voice crack as he was stuttering in his words.

"I-I'm sorry, b-but I don't know how to swim. Please don't be mad!"

Asta’s P.O.V.

First at lunch and now here, why today of all days do I need to remember that place. And during the time where I’m surrounded by people who actually care about me? I know these people won't hurt me, so why do I flinch at their touch? At least I haven't had a nightmare in two days, so I'm getting better. It's not like they'll come out and search for me. It's not like they ever cared, so why do I still think of them while they've forgotten me? And why am I stuttering and nearly crying? This is not like me. I know I want to be cautious not to lose them or get on their bad side, but being scared isn't going to help.

It feels like the walls are closing in and the ground moves like water, voices become hazy as I see black spots filling my vision. Instead of the voices of my new friends, I hear them. I hear their insults, empty threats and curses. Their taunting cackles fill my head as I feel my throat closing up. I feel a cold hand touch my shoulder and I turned to see the father. His nails were harshly digging into my skin and I started screaming and slap his hand away. He inches closer while I’m stuck, frozen in place. I curl into a ball, slowly losing oxygen, my breathing hitched. The last thing I could barely see is a blur of red.