Chapter 22

Narrator’s P.O.V

Whispers filled the arena as contenders tried to comprehend what they just witnessed. Yuno was slowly being healed, surprisingly not having any permanent damage; those healers do a damn good job at their occupation. Some of the captains had gone with Asta to calm him down while the rest stayed and supervised the contestants' fights, despite everyone still shocked from the previous fight.

Five minutes later, the remaining captains returned, with Asta standing in a dark corner. People avoided him focusing on the remaining battles, but they still couldn't fully take their attention off of him. Nero flew to Asta, slowly placing herself on his shoulder to comfort him. She knew that he was close to exploding and if that happened, she was afraid of the consequences.

Asta’s P.O.V

When we return, I'm going for a mission, I need to blow off some steam. Maybe explore a dungeon or I'll spar with Luck? He’s gonna want a Death Battle again. I wonder how Henry is doing, I'll visit him on another day. Let's just distract myself for a bit. These people do have some unique magic, maybe I'll incorporate them in my own arsenal. I sound like dad right now, at least I’m not a nerd. I probably should apologize to Charlotte-nee; I know she doesn't like seeing me like that and I still did feel that way, though I don't regret anything, he deserved it.

"Contestant #148."

Huh? Oh, I was so lost in thought I didn't even realize that we were already at the last stage. The called contestant steps forward and of course, it's Yuno, sadly I couldn't leave him with one leg. I mean I could’ve crushed his heart, but he was already heartless. I look up at the captains and they all raised their hands expect one. My replacement for today and vice-captain of the Grey Hounds, Kento Domizu. (There will be a page of the OCs and descriptions later on.)

Most people started whispering again. What's with these people and gossiping, so what? 9/10 raised their hands he still has to join one in the end. I turned my head and looked at Yuno and he frowned a little; he was probably offended that he wasn't chosen by all of them, what a whiner.

"I'll choose the Grey Hounds."

What did he just say? Did he just choose the one captain who hadn't raised their hand?! Holy Crap, I think I’m gonna die from this. I burst out laughing while clutching my stomach which earned a few stares, but I didn’t care. Is this guy out of his mind? Or maybe he still has a concussion. From the corner of my eye, I could see Kento holding back his laughter, but the corner of his mouth kept twitching. I wiped a tear from my eye and cleared my throat; I could feel him glaring at me, but this was just too much! A few of the contestants snickered until William spoke.

"You can only choose from the captains who raised their hands. That means  you cannot choose the Grey Hounds." He looked like he was smirking to, or maybe he was just trying to be nice while laughing inside.

"...then I'll choose the Golden Dawn."

After he answered, he disappeared in the crowd, too embarrassed to show his face. My number was called and I stepped forward. I didn't concern myself to look up at my options and promptly chose my own squad, which a lot of people were shocked about since apparently they heard the Grey Hounds were really hard to get into. People watched me in admiration as I just entered the most 'mysterious' squad in Clover Kingdom, though we aren't mysterious at all. I mostly pick up new recruits I run into when I'm on missions so my squad is mostly made up of commoners. I could see their potential, so I offered them to join.

After a while, the exam was finally done. Most people were recruited and went with their respective squads while the rest left the arena dejected. In the end, only me and my vice-captain remained. I looked at him, prompting him to come down from the alcove.

"My father is here hiding so you can go ahead without of me."

Kento nodded, patting my shoulder lightly before he vanished using his magic. I then appeared behind my father. Before he could turn his head around, I pushed him from his hiding spot. He was about to touch the ground when he used his magic to slow down his fall and land properly on his feet. I jumped down landing next to him and dodged an incoming noogie.

"Now young man, it isn't nice to push an old lady to her death." He chuckled before taking down the illusion he wore.

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were a spy since you've been here for the whole exam together with someone else. At least that person was smart enough to flee before I could find them. Now Dad, don't you have some paperwork to do?"

"Sarcasm is very becoming of you. I can never fool you can I, Asta? Well, if you want to know my who my accomplice is you'll have to attend the next captain’s meeting."

"But!"

"No, buts. You can't only attend them when you need our permission for some ridiculous stunt." He rolled his eyes during that statement which made me pout.

"Ugh, but they're so boring! I could be exploring dungeons instead of attending one of those." Wow, I’m beginning to sound like Luck now. What’s next, I eat like a glutton?

Julius’ P.O.V

I sighed in exasperation, this boy will be the death of me. I grabbed his earlobe and dragged him off, while he yelped and was struggling o get out of my grip.

"Well if you can come to this one, it may be interesting for you instead of saying that it's always going to be boring. You’ve only attended one meeting and now you just say it’s boring. Ever thought about what happens between Captains sometimes during meetings? It’s quite eventful to me."

I looked at his head and saw Nero staring at me, always like they're judging me. I smile at them, but they fly towards my hiding place and returns with a pendant. Orion must've dropped it, I opened my hand and they laid it down. Asta tilted his head at the sight of the pendant and tried to get a closer look.

The pendant had a big black star in the middle surrounded by colored dots, which seemed to be the millions of stars in the universe. It was a beautiful and unique design, Asta seemed to stare at it and his eyes became hazy. I snapped my fingers in front of his face and he snapped out of his trance, blinking a few times in confusion. He looked at me weirdly before giving me his trademark goofy grin.

Even though he is my son, he still is so mysterious to me. I do hope he'll talk to me soon before he 'explodes' as pops explained.

Asta’s P.O.V

Why does that design look so familiar to me? Since I became a captain I tried to find out who my parents were, but I never got any clues except nightmares and now this design. Maybe the owner knows something, that means I have to attend the meeting. Hopefully Nozel doesn't try to start a fight. Or Yami and Jack going for another death match.