Chapter 21

Chapter 21
Narrator’s P.O.V
“Magic Tree, descend!”
A glow from William’s grimoire could be seen and a large tree appeared from the sky, slowly descending to the applicants. Its branches grew out with brooms wrapped around it’s end, going towards all the applicants. Asta reached out to one of the branches and grabbed the broom before the branch retracted back.

“We will now begin the Magic Knight’s Entrance Exam. I will be conducting this exam. The ten of us will evaluate your performance and then we will select the candidates that we would like in our squads. You may choose which squad you would like to be in if two or more squads picked you, otherwise you are accepted to the squad that only picked you. Those who are not chosen by any captain, you are not qualified for the test and can try again next year. Mages who can control their magic should be able to do this instinctively. Riding a broom is the most basic way of travelling. If you can’t ride a broom then you shouldn’t even be here. Your first exam is quite obvious as you can see. No explanation is needed unless you are all imbeciles.”

William muttered the last part which earned sniggers from the other captains before they regained their composure except for Yami who had a dumb grin still etched on his face. The candidates began their exam, some struggling to levitate even a few inches while others are already high in the air, flying around the arena.

“Just by observing this, we can get a good idea of what kind of mages they are. There are quite a few candidates this year.”

Charlotte thought as she examined the candidates.
High in the air amongst other candidates is Yuno who was standing on his broom surfing around the arena with his poker face still intact. Murmurs rose through the crowd as they stared at him

“For a kid from the boonies, he really is amazing.”

“Isn’t that the kid who was chosen by a four-leaf grimoire?”

While they were all fixated on Yuno’s ‘impressive ability’, a voice was then heard by the Captain’s area.

“So, does this count as passing the exam?”

Asta asked nonchalantly to the Captains, who looked surprised, but internally, they were sweat dropping at his actions. Asta was sitting cross-legged in mid-air, his arms behind his head with his broom in hand. Everyone in the arena just gawked at him, including Yuno, nearly falling off his broom from shock at the sight. All the Captains just stared at him with deadpanned silence until William broke the ice.

“Ahem, As- Candidate, the exam requires you to be on your broom. It is impressive to know that you do not require it, but for the sake of the exam *and to not blow your cover* he grumbled, please use your broom.”

William emphasized on the word ‘use’. Asta made a face of realization before casually bringing his broom around and straddling it like it was no big deal.

“Like this?”

he asked innocently.
William resisted the urge to face palm and with a strained voice replied.

“Use your broom, not your magic. Stop pretending to be using the broom. I know you’re still floating by using your own magic.”

Asta pouted at the fact he knew, but did what he was told anyways. His magic wore off and he was now sitting on his broom, floating in the air. The Captains were visibly relieved that Asta followed orders during this ‘undercover’ mission. All the examinees in the area still just stared at them like they’ve grown an extra head. William took noticed of this proceeded with the exams like nothing ever happened. But, all is well ends well.

Not.

In every exam, Asta had managed to draw a lot of attention to himself which made a lot of participants nearly giving up. In the Magic Ability Control Exam, Asta decided to make a flurry of tornado dance around. Beside him was Yuno who only just made the papers fly around and he had a look of pure shock. Asta was enjoying himself so much that he almost accidently made an actual tornado. Luckily, he regained control after a very panicked Fuegoleon called for the next exam. That wasn’t any better. Next was the Magic Creation Exam and Asta yet again impressed everyone with a clone of the Wizard King that actually moved around. The guy next to him only created a small figurine of himself and he sweat dropped at the gaping levels between him and Asta. A pitiful ‘bah-ha’ escaped from his mouth. The last exam was the worst. The Magic Ability exam required everyone to blast their magic into a steel wall. Asta blew the wall of the stadium up instead. Luckily, Rill anticipate this and used his magic to create an illusion of the wall like nothing ever happened to it. Everyone would’ve thought their eyes were playing tricks on them because one second the arena wall was blasted apart, the next, it was perfectly fine. But they were hoping someone cast a spell on them when they looked at rubble of what used to be a steel wall before it was blasted into smithereens. Yuno was getting more agitated by this and nearly missed the target due to frustration. Asta just looked his way and gave an innocent smile while his eyes were smug.

“For the final exam, we will have you partner up and battle each other as a test of combat. The first person incapacitated or surrenders loses the battle and it will end there. Even if you lose, your performance in this battle is what we are observing, so the outcomes are just a bonus. We have medics on the standby, so even if you are injured, you will receive medical attention immediately. Anyone who kills their opponents shall be arrested or disqualified or both. After everyone has fought, we will then take a short break to consider our decisions. Please look for a partner now”