Chapter 43

Gray/Asta's P.O.V

A fire.

An arrow.

Screams.

I can't do anything, I'm unable to move, I'm unable to protect.

I'm being held by someone; I feel connected to them. The way they hold me, their scent, their way of moving it all feels so familiar to me. And then it happens, an arrow strikes them. An inaudible scream isn't heard, but they kept their head held high.

Chaos is reigning outside and people are suffering. A group of people seem to be blocking others. Like a wall, desperate to stand tall. What is happening?

I do not know, but I have a feeling that I should at least help them. That I should be able to be of any use.

The person holding me hands me off to someone else while they're slowly getting engulfed by flames.

Dread is what filled me. Uncontrollable amounts of dread. A wanting to go back and to be in their arms.

For whom do I want to go back to? I look up to the person holding me and their face has no detail, it's just vague outlines of what someone's face should be. I look at the previous person and it's the same, even the people outside, none of them have any facial features.

What is going on here? Why can't I see them? They're all so far away from me, too far away. Please, why can't I see them?!

~

"Asta, why are you spacing out? Go and continue your chores or else I'll tell Sister Lily. And you don't want that now, do you?"

"Huh, what? What's happening?"

I blink my eyes a few times and see that I'm staring straight into the sun. Where am I? Wait, did I just hear Sister Lily?! I jumped back onto my feet and dusted off my clothes. I look at who was talking to me before and see ... Yuno? He's so small.

"Hey, how old are you?"

"Why are you asking me? Shouldn't you know since we share a 'birthday' or did you hit your head while fooling around?"

"Haha, that must be it. I'm sorry for asking such a dumb question, I'll continue what I was doing so please don't tell the Sister."

"You're lucky I'm so patient with you, tsk."

Just by his nasty, but mild attitude, childlike appearance and lenience with me, I can tell that this was about the time when Yuno first started to act as he is now. Wait, 'now'? Is this really the present? Is this really my reality?

I should investigate.

~

I walked into the church in search of the other residents, but it was so quiet. Eerily so, no one was in sight, even Yuno had disappeared. Very weird indeed. I walked towards the front door and tried to open it, but for some reason it was locked. I then felt a presence behind my back as the light dims. What?

I turned around and saw crooked figures, their faces were as disfigured as their bodies and they kept throwing taunts at me. Their tongues were long, long enough to stab at me and amidst them was Yuno. Who looked worse in health then when I previously saw him. He looked paler and his eyes couldn't focus, but he still participated in degrading me.

Bam!

"Get away from him!"

A starry sky filled the room and before I knew, my vision was shrouded in darkness.

~

"Honey, wake up. We need to get ready."

An unfamiliar scene, an unfamiliar scent, an unfamiliar ceiling yet it feels like home. I look around and see someone. Most likely the person who spoke to me. I am afraid to look at their faces, I don't know why, but it feels as if everyone I've seen up until now won't have a very pleasant ending.