9

Aftershock

When Saemi opens her eyes, a plain white ceiling greets her view.

It takes a few moments before she stirs from her bed, and Doyoung is quick to call for a nurse or a doctor.

The Kims, the Lees, and Hana scurry towards her. A mix of concern and relief paint their expressions. When a doctor arrives, he tells them not to crowd the bed.

Saemi looks around, eyes widening in adjustment to her surroundings. Once it does, her gaze is fixated on her older brother.

The first thing she says is, "oppa."

Doyoung sighs in relief, but his eyebrows crease.

Something's wrong.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Miyazaki Haru. Please, try not to move too much." The doctor speaks calmly.

Saemi obeys immediately, but her eyes do the opposite. She registers that she's in the hospital, but she doesn't know why.

"I see you recognized your brother. I assume you remember your name?" He continues.

It takes a while before she says weakly, "Kim Saemi."

"Okay, that's good." The doctor smiles. "How are you feeling, Saemi? Do you remember what happened?"

Saemi stares at him, then blinks, shaking her head.

"That's completely fine." He reassures her, but it seems directed more towards the people around her. "You were in a car accident, and you were unconscious for eight days."

Saemi glances towards her brother, her parents, Hana, and the Lees one by one, but she continues to listen to the doctor.

"You're going to be alright, Saemi. You'll have to stay here for a few more days for your complete recovery. Is that okay with you?"

Saemi stares again, then blinks again, nodding this time.

"Okay, well," Dr. Miyazaki turns to the Kims. "She seems to be doing fine. Nothing to worry about now."

Mr. Kim holds his hand in gratitude, relieved that his daughter is alive. "Thank you so much, Dr. Miyazaki."

"Saemi, I'm so glad you're awake." Mrs. Kim coos when she walks towards her.

Saemi just stares at everyone, still a bit disoriented from just waking up.

When she tries to sit up, the doctor helps her. She feels a bit of pain throughout her body, but she manages.

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door. The person doesn't bother to wait, he opens the door and lets himself in.

When Saemi sees who entered, she eyes her mother uneasily. She doesn't make her discomfort noticeable, however.

"Ah, Haechan," Dr. Miyazaki speaks to him, "you're just in time. She just woke up."

Haechan gives him a tight-lipped smile and a single nod. He keeps quiet as he observes Saemi's expressions.