12

Memory in Retrospect

Haechan can't forget the fight between him and Saemi back at school. It's been exactly one week and a day, but he can't get it out of his mind.

Maybe it's the way Saemi addressed him as "Haechan" for the first time after the accident. There's a certain tone to it, but he can't pinpoint what it was.

Or maybe it's the way she walked out and kind of disappeared after that day. He couldn't spot her around the campus, though his friends assure him that she's there.

Or perhaps, it's the way she said those words.

I don't even know you.

Haechan isn't sure what he feels about that statement.

There's just something in the way she claimed it, the way she voiced it out.

It's like she was so sure of it, like it was the absolute truth.

Of course, Haechan still believes she's acting, and he still wonders when it will stop. But at the same time, he believes he went overboard.

He knows he did, because he hasn't seen Saemi for eight days.

And if there's one absolute truth he's sure about his fiancée, it's that she can't live without making her annoyance—or anger—known to him at least once a day.

He's convinced he angered her a bit too much that she's giving him the cold shoulder. And he's not used to being ignored this much, even by—no—especially by her.

So now, on a Saturday afternoon, Haechan finds himself at the living room of the Kims.

When Mr. Lee learned about the fight, he had forced his son to visit Saemi. He scolded the Lee heir for being mean towards his future wife, though he's unaware of the truth behind the fight. His son had only told him that they did, indeed, have an argument at school.

Haechan is surprised that Doyoung lets him in easily. He only receives a subtle eyeroll and a simple "she doesn't want to see you" from the older male, but he's let inside nonetheless.

He proceeds to Saemi's room, finding their big mansion a bit too familiar. He hasn't been in the place for a couple of years, save for that one time last year, but he does remember how it feels to be inside. Nothing much has changed.

He knocks on Saemi's door, and he hears her say, "come in."

When he does, Saemi doesn't look at him.

"Hey." He greets.

"Hm."

Haechan notes the dismissiveness in her tone. He knows that she knew why he's there, but she pays him no mind.

"What are you doing?" He finds his own question weird since he doesn't ask her that kind of questions.

"What do you think?" Saemi responds nonchalantly, still not looking his way.

"Um," Haechan tries to guess. "Folding your clothes?"

Saemi doesn't speak and continues to do her task.