25

Two Worlds

When Haechan opens his eyes, his mind immediately remembers his dream.

Saemi was in it, and he was holding her in his arms. He was kissing her soft lips, he was touching her delicate skin, he was making love to her.

But then he groans on his bed.

It's just a dream. Saemi isn't anywhere near him, and it really frustrates him.

He just wants her back so much to the point that he's having dreams of her.

They aren't new, in all honesty. Some dreams are sad, others are a mix of his happy memories of her from last year, and sometimes it's those kinds.

When his alarm beeps, he groans again.

Another day at the company, another eight hours about to be wasted.

He wishes his father would listen to him. He doesn't want to do anything with their business, he wants to start a different one to prove that he's capable. He's already opened it up countless times to his parents, and his mother slightly considers it, albeit still hesitant.

But just this once, he wishes his father would just listen to him. Because if he's being honest, he's not even making any efforts towards his training. His father sees it, but still doesn't let go of him. Mr. Lee still wants his son to continue with the plan, with or without Saemi.

He feels glad that his father has finally stopped depending too much on the Kims, though it's not like they have a choice either way.

After the cancellation of his engagement with her, which was six months ago already, their transactions with the Kims have slowed down. It hasn't stopped, and he thinks it's because of what Saemi told him back when they last talked to each other, that her family's company would still be supplying theirs as usual.

But he also surmises that the Kims will completely cut ties with them once they learn that he's not taking over his family's company.

He's still working on that part, though.

As he prepares for the day, he can't help but to problematize about his workload. It's a Saturday on the first week of June, which means he's working full-time in the office. He has a lot of unfinished paperwork on his (father's) desk, and on top of that, he also has to review for the final exams on the following week.

He can't fail any exams. It's already senior year and he has to keep himself on top. His grades are suffering a bit since the start of the semester.

Ugh, he groans inwardly in front of the mirror.

Right, he also remembers his birthday, which is also next week. Well, it's not exactly a problem. He plans to celebrate it on the next Saturday, since his birthday is on a Tuesday. Only a few people are invited since he'll have no party.

He thinks a party is useless if he's not celebrating with her.

Saemi has been gone for almost half a year now. She has transferred to another school and he hasn't heard from her for the last six months. He assumes she's doing better now.

The thing, however, is that she's not just in a different school. She's actually not in the country anymore, and Haechan has no idea where in the world she could be.

No one knows where she is except for her family, which is given, but they didn't tell anyone. Not the press, not his family—not even Lee A Yeong, when she visited her for the last time—and most especially, not him.

He remembers when everyone found out that she's not at West Seoul University anymore, he'd been bombarded with questions from the other students-his dance team, his classmates, and even his teachers.