18

The Cat Returns

Saemi tries to forget the fact that she woke up at Haechan's hotel room the day after her birthday. Or the fact that she slept there.

She remembers being scolded by her parents, she remembers crying a lot, and she remembers running towards his room. She slightly remembers being wrapped around his arms after he closed the door, but the memory is kind of vague.

Perhaps it's because she was so tired that night, and she must've fallen asleep after crying so hard since she doesn't remember what else happened.

All she knows is that when she woke up, her fiancé had just taken a shower.

Okay, maybe what she's actually trying to forget is the fact that he was only wearing a towel on the lower half of his body that time.

Yes, it's most likely that.

So, she stares at her new phone instead.

But it doesn't help with the forgetting, because her new phone is a gift from none other than Haechan himself.

(Which he remembered to give while she's still a bit disoriented from waking up on his bed.)

When she asks him why he gave her a phone, he tells her that it's compensation for her (other) old phone's tragic demise at the university's pond.

She furrows her eyebrows at that, so he explains the short version: she dropped her phone in the pond and it's his fault.

Saemi distracts herself with something else, music. She has a new album from WayV. It's her first album from them, and it's signed by the members.

She loves all six songs from the album, and she's distracted for a short while. Until she's reminded that the album is another gift from her fiancé.

(Which he also remembered to give right after presenting the new phone, so she had to close her eyes in secondhand embarrassment while he walked around the room with only his towel.)

The second time she asks, he tells her that he remembered that she mentioned liking the group just recently. So he ordered online—searched thoroughly for a special copy with all the members' signatures—and bought it.

When she asks why he had so many gifts for her, including the gown and the heels she used for the party, he answers that he just wanted to give her all of those for no particular reason.

Saemi is convinced that Haechan is trying to murder her.

But murder, in this sense, means making her fall for him.

And it's so unfair, she thinks.

It's so unfair that Haechan can easily capture her heart, but she can't fall for him because he has a girlfriend. And this girlfriend is a friend of hers.

It's so unfair that she's engaged to a man who's in a relationship with someone that's not her.

Why does she have to fall for him? Why couldn't it be someone else?

Why couldn't it be... someone like Jung Jaehyun?

People at school tell her that she has a crush on Jaehyun. She and him are even close with each other. So why can't she remember it?