13

A White Lie

At the very least, Haechan is holding onto the fact that Saemi knows him as "Lee Donghyuck from childhood."

It's stupid.

He feels stupid that that's what he's thinking about at the moment while having another dinner meeting with the Kims.

He feels stupid that every time he glances at Saemi across from him on the table, he's hoping that she would look his way.

He feels very stupid that he's trying so hard to catch her light brown eyes in his.

Usually, on meetings like this, Saemi would be the one doing all those things: glancing from time to time towards him, trying to catch his attention, hoping that he would at least acknowledge her presence.

But tonight, Haechan wonders, when have the tables turned?

He's not, in any way, catching feelings for his fiancée. No, that much he's very sure of. He believes it's just the fact that he's not used to this kind of "set-up" with her.

He's been so used to the usual glares, mockeries, sarcasm—it's been almost ten years since they started the "enemies" agenda with each other—that it felt very unfamiliar when Saemi became this whole other person after the accident.

She's not a new person. Haechan can see the old her, the version of her from his childhood memories. But it's mixed up with something different, something strange, something... he couldn't name yet.

He remembers how she used to be assertive, powerful, untouchable. When she walks in a room, her fiery personality can be felt instantly, and no one would dare mess with her.

But now she's just so... quiet.

"So, how are you, Saemi?" Haechan's mother, Mrs. Lee, asks.

Saemi smiles politely. "Good, Mrs. Lee. I'm adjusting well, both at home and at school. Thank you for asking."

"How about the memories? Have you recovered anything yet?" Mr. Lee asks next.

"No, nothing worthy of mention, Mr. Lee." Saemi lightly shakes her head. "Uh... I've been trying, however. I've been having therapy sessions, but my head starts to ache if it gets too much for me to handle."

"Oh, but you must try very hard, don't you think, Saemi?" Mr. Lee continues while he cuts through his steak. "You and Donghyuck are in junior year now. Another year in and the two of you will get married."

"Um... I think we still have a lot of time to, uh, deliberate about this arrangement." Saemi smiles politely again, but Haechan notes the uneasiness in her voice.

"Oh, no, my dear," Mrs. Kim shakes her head, "we've already discussed this. You and Donghyuck will marry each other after you graduate. You two have agreed to that already, despite whatever drama you two have had. And everything has been planned ahead."

"Besides, A Yeong-nim will get very upset if you back out now." Her father, Mr. Kim, adds. "You know how she's been waiting for your wedding day."

"I know but, um, Donghyu—I mean—Haechan and I—we still have a lot to catch up to and I don't think I feel comfortable marrying someone I don't know—"