PAGE 50 [SDS]

Chapter 15 | Free falling

_____________

Hawaii, NARA

We were on the roof of the place where Dongsung was currently staying in Hawaii. He told me that a family that was hosting him gave him the room in the attic that used to be a child's room. There were still glow in the dark stickers on the ceiling, but Dongsung told me that the real stars were better just outside the roof so we climbed up and now we were sitting there with the overview of the city.

This part was of town was quite peaceful. It also overlooked the ocean that's like a huge black hole now.

“You know, they say there are five seasons of connection in life.” He said.

I chuckled. “Five seasons of connection?”

He smiled. “Don't judge me. I just stumbled on it on the internet!”

“Okay, so tell me what that is.”

“Okay, so there's winter, spring, summer and fall, right? And then there's crossroads.”

“There's crossroads?” I asked with a smile. I was fascinated by Seo Dongsung. Honestly, he can't even compare to the guys I've gone out with. Whenever he's with me, it's not just the physical things. He speaks his mind and I listen, and somehow that seems to be enough.

Dongsung nodded, “They say that in winter, there's an absence of connection. And then spring is the bridge-building stage. Summer is all about love, being connected and being openㅡwhich is pretty cliché, if you ask me. And then there's autumn when you feel the chill emerging from the air.”

“And then there's crossroads.”

“And then there's crossroads where we connect and disconnect. They say it's the season of life where we make crucial decisions that will have far-reaching consequences.”

Dongsung talked more about the five seasons of connection and I didn't think he realized that he's talking so animatedly. I let him go on because I really didn't mind. I liked listening to whatever is going on in his mind.

And aside from Areum, my best friend, Dongsung is the only one I've met so far that just clicked with me for real. We could talk about everything even random topics and I don't think we would ever get bored.

It's that rare instance of feeling like you've known someone forever even though you've only met them not long ago.

“I always feel like I'm on a crossroad, you know.” He said later.

“Why?”

“Because I feel like what I'm doing will have far-reaching consequences in my life someday but I don't know if it would be good or bad, but something is still telling me that I should continue. I've gotten so far, I might as well really find my mom.”

I looked at him and then I laid my head on his shoulder. “Do you ever miss home?”

“I miss my little sister. Well, my dad probably doesn't miss me and we've always had our differences but I still miss the good times. I miss my friends too.”

“Did you have a lot of friends back home?”

“Just my band. I had a band, you see. We were training for a company to be in the sense of the word ‘official’. But you know it's hard for bands in our country. In the end, the company didn't believe we can make it.”

I looked up at him in surprise. He hadn't told me that before. I thought he's always been a stand-in bassist. “I'm so sorry, Dongsung.”

Dongsung shrugged. “I'm sorry too. After that, I feel like my members knew I had to quit the band entirely because they're my friends. They knew about my mom and how I wanted to find her someday. So, they all told me to go and they went their separate ways too, took different paths.”