PAGE 38 [SDS]

Chapter 3 | The night we met

A/N: i will be inserting chapters that have taken place in the past like when nara and dongsung first met in hawaii about 2 years ago to expand their story even more :) here's when reading book 1 first becomes useful lol

* * *

Hawaii | NARA

2 years ago

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't affected when my best friend, Areum, told me that she wouldn't be able to join me in Hawaii this summer after all. But I also want to understand that she's going through her own thing with her family and I need to woman up and face my own thing. And that is being stuck for about three weeks in a totally foreign place with my mother and her new husband.

"Can't I just really stay home all summer?"

"You have three months of summer. Three weeks out of those three months is all I'm asking for, Nara. Haven't we already talked about this? Besides, we have paid for your tickets and your hotel room."

"Then I'll work for the summer and pay you back."

"There's nobody to look out for you while we're gone."

"I am nineteen, mom. I can look out for myself."

"No, you can't. End of conversation. Go to bed. Our flight is early tomorrow." She said, getting up from her seat in front of the dresser after doing her skincare routine.

My mom was gorgeous even at her age. Sometimes it makes me wonder how my father didn't want us in his life. Maybe that's why Areum always tells me that beauty isn't everything.

I got up from her bed and left the room before my stepfather comes home from work. It hasn't been long since he moved in with us and since then, I have been trying to spend the least time possible with him. I cannot wait to go to college and move in with my best friend. We will be having the time of our lives.

As usual, I fell asleep thinking about the future possibilities that I know won't probably happen but gave me hope anyway.

***

We're in Kauai and the hotel room I got overlooked a giant swimming pool which overlooked the vast ocean. My mom married a rich man, that's evident. I don't think I have to actually see them being lovey-dovey all the time. I can probably do my own thing even in Hawaii. I smiled and snapped a picture of the view, sending it to Areum with the message saying, don't u wish u came with me ;)

I spent the entire afternoon searching for things to do when you're in Hawaii. It's actually my first trip out of the country. I should make the most of it. The truth is, I was originally excited because I thought I would be having the time of my life with Areum before we go to college. I thought I could erase the thought of my mom having a late honeymoon with her new husband. But... it isn't too late to actually do that, is it?

By near sunset, I dressed up in a tank top and long skirt. I grabbed my hat that I know would just mark me as an obvious tourist aside from being East Asian. I sent a quick message to my mom's Messenger when I'm halfway far from the hotel. mom, going out for the evening to go to this event the receptionist told me about. enjoy ur first night. don't worry bout me. X

I followed Google Map to the place. It was an outdoor event but the venue was really packed. People were dancing and drinking, and just having fun. I made my way to the bar, to get myself a drink. I tried my best to look confident. The bar tender was hot. Period. That's all I could think about. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you old enough to be sitting in front of my bar?" He asked.