PAGE 26 [KJH]

Chapter 9 | The day you were born

|| GAEUL ||

“Yes, I'm all set, mom. Sem starts tomorrow.” I said as I cleaned my room.

“Good luck. Your birthday is tomorrow too. What do you want as a gift?”

I grinned. “Will you get me anything I want?”

“Yeah, tell me.”

“I'll think about it and tell you. Thank you, mom! But how's Gayoon eonni? She's not replying to me.”

“Aigoo. She's been writing nonstop. I still barely see her.”

“Yeah, that sounds like her. Well, do something, mom! She'll come around.”

“Alright, I'll try to get her to pet some dogs today.”

“Send pictures or it never happened!”

She laughed. “I'll hang up. We'll drop by your college tomorrow. Let's have lunch outside.”

“Okaaaay! Bye!”

“I love you, my daughter.”

“Ugh. Love you! Bye.”

Once we hang up and I finished mopping the floor, I looked around my room and sigh in relief. Now, it looks like a decent human's bedroom. Though I know in a few weeks, it will transform for the worse again.

I put the mop outside and looked around once more. The snow globes caught my attention. There are fourteen of them. One for each year since I was ten years old, when Jaehyun started making them for me. There are so many that I bought a small shelf dedicated just for them.

They're so beautiful.

I wonder what kind of concept Jaehyun will come up with this time. It's one of the things I look forward to the most every year.

And the reason I don't confess and I will never do it is because I'm scared. I know it's cliché, but I'm still afraid to ruin our friendshipㅡthat all the little ways that I have him would disappear.

🍁

The next day, I woke up with a smile on my face. My phone kept buzzing once I turned on the wifi.

goddess jaekyung:
Happieeeeest birthday to my best friend.
I love you. I wish you'll get a
boyfriend this year of your life.
Better yet, if it's my brother. ~~ ㅋㅋ

cat hun:

Happy birthday, Gaeul.

I chuckled sleepily. “He's so dry.”

unknown number:

Today is your birthday, right?
Happy birthday to my first girlfriend.
Save my number.
-Dongsung

“I didn't know I was his first girlfriend. Is he messing with me?”

soul sister: