PAGE 59 [CH]

FIVE SEASONS BK.4
________________________

W I N T E R
W I N T E R
________________________

P59 • C2
Comfort Food

HUN

One of the things I loved about Comfort Food was that you can see your food being made. The kitchen was right behind the bar, open for every customer to see. I focused on Junhee's hands moving fast on the chop board. It was so familiar that I could really feel the fact that I was back home. Home home.

She asked me earlier what's my order so she could prepare it immediately and I told her it's the usual and to take her time. I thought she wouldn't remember the usual. It's been a year anyway. The last time I had a meal here was before we left for Japan.

But she just smiled and said okay.

I waited with anticipation but with no words being said. I remembered that her customers actually talked to Junhee a lot. They would eat here after a long day and drink, and bust out all their worries. Junhee would often smile and comfort them. Maybe that's what keeps them coming back even though the place was really small. More than the food itself, Junhee was good at bringing comfort to her customers.

That was amazing of her, I thought, but probably a huge burden too. Just like Seunghyub hyung's leadership in our band and the fact that he's the one expected to make music for us.

"How was Japan?" Junhee suddenly asked that my brain lagged a few seconds behind. She smiled just a little. "I remember you said you were going to Japan."

She remembers me, my order, and the last time we talked. I smiled while she wasn't looking and immediately turned my straight face back when she glanced at me. I cleared my throat. "Oh, well, I was with the band so it was fun. We adjusted in the country together, stressed together." A chuckle escaped my lips, remembering how we gathered around the table to discuss bills. "We've been adults for a while now by age but that was the only time I felt like we really knew how it's like to be one."

I did talk sometimes with Junhee back then but everything I told her weren't negative because I didn't want that baggage to add on however heavy she already had on her back. After all, everyone carries one. Just in different weights.

I looked at her, noticing how she wasn't wearing makeup today. I think Junhee likes makeup. I would always see her dolled up, but not in an exaggerated way. If anything, whatever she does on her face only accentuated her beauty even more. Her long wavy hair was always tied up in a pony tail and she still had bangs. Without makeup, she looked so much younger and I could see the dark shadows under her eyes.

"What about you?" I asked. Her hand paused on chopping only for a moment before she continued. "How have you been doing?"

Junhee drained the noodles and then she began putting on the ingredients at the top. It's always satisfying to watch her do that. She did it so well. "Did you know?" She asked, turning her back on me to get something. "You're the only customer who comes and asks how I'm doing." She said, turning back towards me with a smile.

Once done, she served me the bowl of Bibim-guksu that I ordered. "Here, it's on the house. Welcome back, Cha Hun-ssi."

I wasn't sure which of the three was warmer than the other at that momentㅡthe food, my cheeks or my heart.

* * *

JUNHEE

"Junhee-ya, I'm coming back to South Korea."