PAGE 20 [KJH]

Chapter 3 | the more you hate, the more you love

JAEHYUN

Visiting my mom's coffee shop first thing in the morning was what I did. I found Hun and Gaeul huddled over a laptop. "Get a room." I told them, frowning as I passed by.

Gaeul rolled her eyes and then proceeded to ignore me.

"Good morning, mom!" I greeted mom behind the counter.

She looked at me disapprovingly. "No, you can't get free breakfast. Have it at home."

"Mom, I'll really pay you back when N.Flying hits it off!"

"When is that? When I'm too old and it's time to close the shop?" She asked while preparing a breakfast menu for me anyway.

I scratched my head. "Mom, give me that strawberry mocha cake."

She gave me a stern look. "Why? You hate strawberry."

"They're not for me."

Mom looked around. "Ahyoung isn't around."

"Ah, mom, just give me a slice, please."

She suppressed a smile. "Fine. Aigoo, you idiot."

I chuckled. "I love you, mom."

"Only when you need something." She said, handing me the tray of breakfast: ginseng coffee, cinnamon roll, and the strawberry mocha cake.

"Thank you!"

I made my way back to Hun and Gaeul still in a deep conversation. I grinned and placed the tray in front of them. They ignored me.

"Ah, really?" Hun asked her.

Gaeul nodded. "I'll miss working in the pet shelter. In fact, I'd rather work there my whole life than go back to college."

Hun chuckled. "You're crazy."

"Says the person who'd rather play in a band than go back to college."

"Touché."

I quietly slid the strawberry mocha cake towards Gaeul. She didn't notice.

"So, if I want to adopt a cat, how are the procedures?" Hun asked her.

Gaeul was about to reply when I cleared my throat. "You like strawberry mocha, right?" I asked her.

They both looked at me like I was the weirdest person on earth. Wait, they always look at me that way.

Gaeul finally noticed the cake and then looked at me skeptically. "Why are you giving me a cake?" She asked after a while.

"And where is mine?" Hun asked.

"Who said you're getting yours?" I asked him before turning to Gaeul. I shrugged. "I just remembered you like strawberry mocha."

She was quiet for a while before clearing her throat. She narrowed her eyes at me. "Is this for last night? If I'd known that bailing your ass out of-"

I quickly cut a teaspoonful of the cake and fed it to her. Her complaints became muffled as she chewed and glared at me at the same time.

Hun sipped thoughtfully from his Americano. "Wait, she bailed you out of what?"

I laughed awkwardly. "Out of the rain. We saw each other by the convenience store and she lent me an umbrella."

Gaeul finally swallowed hard and cleared her mouth. "Yeah, right." She said scornfully.

Hun turned to Gaeul. "Yah, we have a gig tonight. You should come."

"Don't bring Jaekyung noona. Don't you have other friends?" I asked her.