9 || Goodbye but not quite

You sat on your bed, sighing at the comfy feeling. Washed, dried up, ironed and folded next to you was a maroon-red track jacket. A smile was evident on your face whenever you looked at it.

~

"That's what you get for having a watery sponge fight." Kita sighed, though his smile said his mood was otherwise.

"Well technically it was aim practice too." You slyly tapped finger on your head in a 'big brain' moment.

"Facts." Suna nodded.

"As long as you don't catch a cold out here then that's fine." Kita warned.

Suna turned to you, hand pressing on a clump of hair letting droplets seep out.. "You weren't this soaked when you were laying down on the court."

"Atsumu did this in the storage room." You gestured to the hair Suna just squeezed.

"Idiot!" Osamu smacked Atsumu's head, though the slap did sound quite comedic because of his hair being wet.

"It was just for fun! It's not like she's suffering."

"Kita help I'm suffering." You monotonously expressed.

The group looked to Atsumu accusingly.

"Hmph!" Atsumu shuffled his bag off his shoulder to his arm as he decided to remove his sports jacket. Thankfully he didn't wear it today, so it wasn't submerged, nor didn't smell like his sweat.

He smiled as he draped the cloth around you. "There!"

"How romantic." That raven haired boy will never stop, will he?

You looked at the fabric surrounding you with surprised. "T-thanks..."

~

You laughed again. Thank goodness your weekend wasn't spent at home moping because of a fever or anything. Instead, you somehow had the motivation to finish your homework early so that you could do whatever you wanted for the rest of it. Which was doing absolutely nothing but lazing around.

The door creaked as your mom peeked into the room.

"Aaaah knockkk..." You lazily complained as you laid in bed.

"Sorry sweetie," she laughed, and looked next to you.

"That is?"

"Atsumu's jacket. When I came home soaked on Friday." You reminisced as if it wasn't just two days ago.

"Hmm... that's cute." She smiled, but it faded quickly. "Be careful around boys, (Y/n)."

"I know, I know. But they're all nice, the whole team." You sighed, turning away. You didn't want to hear another one of her lectures about men.

"That's what I thought when I met him you know."

You expected a ramble to spew, but she didn't continue. All you felt was a hand rubbing your head momentarily. "...I'm proud you're making friends."

And with that she left the room. You laid there with thoughts in your head. They were definitely nicer than your father. Your point was proven when you remembered how happy you were when Kita said his final thanks on Friday's walk home. His whole speech was probably written down and rehearsed.

~

"And I'd also like to thank for you allowing the team to experience a new environment. We were quick to adjust, and-"

"Kita," you began, a drop of sweat on you despite the smile on your face. "I get it, you can stop now It's been five minutes." A laugh escaped you.

"Yeah I'm getting cold." Atsumu grumbled.

"Right, my apologies. I'm just very thankf-" Kita stopped himself when he felt you swing your arms around him.

"I should be the one thanking you." You mumbled into your sleeve as you rested your head on your arm resting on his shoulder. "I haven't helped anyone during practices in that gym since my father passed. Everyone else who visits during the holidays never wants a "kid" to help them. So I missed it."

You felt Kita return the hug, his hands resting on your back. It was rare for Kita's eyes to become even the tiniest bit watery, but this was an exception.

~

You laid in bed, eventually only thinking about tomorrow's after school practice until you drifted off to sleep. Though on the other hand, at that moment, texts were being passed between a group of boys.

Tsumu: do u think she'll want to tho?

OwojiroAran: well she does like volleyball like the rest of us

Cap'n Kita: If she doesn't want to, I'm sure she'll inform us. Though, personally I think she would be a great help. Not to mention her dedication is shown by the fact that she cleans that gym every week and helps us during practice.

Tsumu: pls stop texting in perfect grammar and punctuation it scares me

Samu: Be grateful loser that'd mean you can spend more time with your gf

Tsumu: well yeah it's great, but still, it's her choice

Sunashine: simp

Tsumu: stfu

Samu: you didn't even deny the fact that I called her ur gf

Tsumu: ugGGHHH

Samu: cmon u horny shit u were so jealous when she hugged Kita

Tsumu: U WANNA GO?

In real life, Osamu had kicked the bunk above him, shaking his brother above. "Ow!" His head has bumped the headboard.

Tsumu: ow

Samu: did you really have to text that too

Tsumu: yeah now shut

*Samu changed Tsumu's nickname to 'Bratsumu'*

Bratsumu: srsly!?

Samu: you literally renamed everyone else on this gc it's only fair

Sunashine: 👁w👁 pfft

Bratsumu: kita pls I'm being bullied

Cap'n Kita: 😴

Bratsumu: WHY

OwojiroAran: 🤣

Sunashine: it's her pet name for u tho 🥺

*Bratsumu changed Sunashine's nickname to 'Rintarhoe'*

Rintarhoe: im fine with that

*Akagay changed their nickname to 'Liberhoe'*

Liberhoe: we matching now

Rintarhoe: thx akagi 💅✨

Bratsumu: nooo I was so proud of ur name

Liberhoe: sad

Cap'n Kita: Everyone, in all seriousness, please make sure you get some sleep soon. We have school tomorrow.

Rintarhoe: k mom

Liberhoe: night guys

Bratsumu: see yall tmrw

Atsumu sighed and switched off his phone, turning in his side.

"Shut up."

"I literally just sighed!?!??"