15 || Missed practice

"Ah! There you are Atsumu!" A player smiled at the setter, bringing others attention to him.

"Heyo!" Atsumu jokingly saluted, excited to get the day started.

He glanced around the gym to find you since you always arrived before you, though instead he found Kita having a serious looking conversation with the coach, before turning to him.

"Atsumu, can I talk to you for a moment?"

Atsumu flinched. "I'm in trouble!?"

Kita shook his head in a sigh. "Let's go." He lead the way right outside the gym doors as Atsumu sheepishly followed.

"He's totally in trouble." Suna whispered to Osamu.

"Probably..." The twin agreed.

"..."

"..."

"Wanna eavesdrop?"

"I promise I'll set better!! I know sometimes I'm tired and it's not exactly where it should be, but I'll do better I swear!" Atsumu had instantly began pleading when they went outside.

Suna and Osamu shuffled as they didn't let the door click closed, allowing a thin strip of sight to let them peek through, one head on top of the other as an eye squinted through the gap.

"Atsumu, I've said, you're not in trouble." Kita seemed exhausted by Atsumu already, knowing sometimes he could get insecure about his abilities. "Though your sets could always use work."

Ouch. The two spies thought as they watched.

"Atsumu, I'm sure you have noticed, but (Y/n) isn't attending practice today."

Osamu and Kita looked at each other. They didn't say anything, but you could practically see their mental conversation. Osamu raised a single brow as if asking if Suna wanted to listen in on the personal business. Suna raised both his eyebrows back, as if asking if Osamu was ok with it.

Osamu shrugged.

Suna shrugged back.

Then they both faced back to the gap in the door to keep listening.

"Ehh? Why?" Atsumu asked devastatingly, since was planning to show you how he practiced memorising the hand symbols from last week.

"She isn't in the best situation. Coach is only telling the team that she's just tired, but she wanted me to tell you her situation in person." Kita began, pausing to think about his phrasing before continuing. "Her mother had left her recently. People are looking for her, and the situation is taking a toll on (Y/n). She's staying home today both from practice and school to take a break and rest. I know you care the most about her, so you deserve to know."

Kita could have ended it there, but he couldn't stop himself from continuing to talk.

"You surprised me at how you handled her so well, back when you had the argument with your brother when we used her gym. You're much more competent in comforting her, and I ask that you continue to do so. I care for her, both as a teammate and a close friend."

Atsumu only stared as Kita talked, more than he'd probably ever done before.

"I see her as family, and as an apprentice of sorts, so I want only the best for her. Not saying you're the best, but I know you can take good care of her. I don't usually talk about external relationships further than ones of volleyball and teammates, but I know that she is important to you. So please keep treating her well."

Once Kita had finished talking, Atsumu's face was bright red. He himself wasn't sure if he wanted to cry about your situation or was flustered by how he basically just got relationship approval from his captain.

"A-Ah... thank you." Atsumu spluttered, unable to form a more complex sentence.

Thought the two turned when they heard noises from inside.

"Watch the door!"

"Wha-"

Stumbling outside onto the floor in front of the two was Osamu and Suna.

"You guys!" Atsumu pointed in surprise at the two sprawled and entangled on the ground.

"I hope you don't go spreading information." Kita's eyes stared. "Ten laps around the gym, the three of you."

"Wait why me!?" The blond cried.

Long story short, Atsumu didn't have nearly as much fun during practice than if you would have helped. In fact, most would say he performed worse than usual.

"Samu, you can head home without me."

Osamu smirked. "What, you missed your little crush that much?"

"...Yeah."

Osamu's eyes shot open, before he quickly fixed his composure. "Never thought you'd admit that so straightforwardly." It definitely surprised him how quickly Atsumu was to shove his pride away just for you.

"...Yeah." Atsumu repeated.

His twin glanced at him questioningly, surprised when he saw Atsumu bright red. "The hell's wrong with you?"

"...Should I tell her?"

"You're asking me for advice?"

"So what if I am!? Aahhh I don't know how to do this kinda thing!" Atsumu grasped his head, frustratedly ruffling his hair.

"I don't think you should." Osamu advised. "Don't you think it's a bit inappropriate at a time when she's trying to cope with something bad?"

"Ah... you're right." As impatient Atsumu was becoming to be with you in that way, he wanted you to feel safe and happy, even if he won't yet explain his feelings.

"I'll get her flowers!" Your admirer excitedly grasped his fists.

"Isn't that basically another way of confessing?" Osamu stared plainly at his brother.

"N-no! I'll give them to her just so she feels better, not because it's a confession!" He defended.

"You do you." Osamu parted with his brother, as Atsumu turned to make his way to the flower shop, until he realised. "Osamu, wait!"

He probably had to change and not be a sweaty mess of a volleyball player when you see him.