12 || Stray

You locked the door behind you, fiddling with your feet to remove your shoes before stepping up into the living room.

"I'm home!" You tried calling out, but it just came out as an exhausted huff.

Your mom appeared from around the corner, looking at you sweetly. "Seemed like a long week, you stayed up late every night watching those volleyball clips."

"Well, being the manager takes a lot of dedication!"

She smiled at you.

"You're doing great, sweetie. Way better than before."

You knew it wasn't volleyball she was talking about.

Your mother continued. "You're improving so fast that you'd probably be doing just fine without me." You couldn't see her face as she laid a hand softly on your head, smoothing out the tangles of your hair, some strands landing in front of your face.

"Don't say things like that, mom, it isn't true. You're everything to me." You leaned into her touch, enjoying the comforting gesture.

She hummed in response. "Go to bed (Y/n), you deserve a good rest."

"Night, mom."

*ping*

A notification momentarily set your dark room alight with a soft blue hue. Turning as you adjusted your hug on the blanket, you picked up your phone from your nightstand, squinting your eyes to read the notification.

Your lock screen read, 'From Kita: http://youtube.com/47Y8B...'

Tapping the notification, it brought you to a video of a previous national volleyball game.

Kita: I recall you mentioning that you couldn't find clips of the Karasuno team from years ago. Thankfully I found this video, though it's not the whole match.

(Y/n): KITAAAA tysm!! 🥺💞

Kita: It's no problem at all :)

(Y/n): omfg u said :) bro ur gonna make me cri

Kita: Sorry, but, *cry.

(Y/n): 👁➖👁

Kita: ??

(Y/n): u gotta stop correcting my texts, they're purposely spelt wrong

Kita: Oh, I see.

Kita: Is it kool not 2 spel things rite?

(Y/n): 🕳🚶‍♀️stop

Kita: Ok.

You laughed. As much as he needed to learn a thing or two, it was kind of charming that he wasn't aware of this stuff. You two texted almost every day the last week, mostly regarding practice and anything volleyball.

*crash*

You jolted at the sound. "Those cats again?" You whispered to yourself.

The dumpster outside your apartment building usually attracted strays at night, which sometimes caused a ruckus. What was more frustrating was that because the building's walls were so flimsy and thin, and you were only on the second floor, the sounds seemed so close that it would be understandable to mistake them for a sound from inside.

Your phone pinged once again, averting your attention.

Kita: I have to go now, good night (Y/n).

(Y/n): O ok, nightieees

Kita: Yeah, nighties.

The next morning, you got up surprisingly late. Well, on second thought, it wasn't surprising, since you spent a few more hours watching and analysing the video Kita had sent you, scribbling notes into your notepad. Doing that in the dark probably wasn't good for your eyes though.

You slipped out of bed, doing your usual morning chores before making your way to the living room.

"Morning mom..." you yawned.

No response.

"Mom?" You looked around the area, from the small kitchen to the couch, to find that she wasn't there. You really  expected her to be awake by now. But sometimes she was not up to it like this, and you had to wake her up.

You knocked and opened the door to her room. "Mom c'mon it's already midda-..."

Her nightstand was flipped over, papers and items were scattered on the floor. It wasn't the cats that made a noise last night.

The room's cupboards, the wardrobes, they were all open and empty. It gave you a gaping and uneasy feeling, since the now dark empty spaces of the storage areas seeming almost ominous.

Your mom wasn't here either.

"Mom?" Your voice shook as you unreasonably hoped for a response from anywhere in the house.

You looked behind you, around the wall, back in the living room, but it was just the same as when you first passed them.

"Mom!?" Your voice was now desperate and crackly as you ended up back in her room, once again stranded in the ocean of casted shadows, as if you were the stray cat at night.

You needed to find anything that told you when she was coming back.

She was coming back, right?

She wasn't going to do the same as he did... right?

You saw a crinkly piece of paper on the centre of the bed and ran to it to smoothened the folds and read it.