Ch.14

I felt around for the twins when I woke up.

Memories came flooding back to me and I broke down as I realized they weren't there. There was no more Vincent in the corner of the cell tying his boots, no Ezra there to cuddle, no twins to sleep with, and no Cayden to wake me up.

I felt so empty and lonely as I lay in a bed for the first time for who knows how long.

I heard a nurse come in, her lips were moving but I couldn't hear any sound coming out.

All that I could think of was the fact that I will never see any of them again. They were on life sentences. There was no way I could get to that level and be in the same place as them ever again.

Sadness engulfed me but I had cried all of the tears left to cry.

The nurse had a few more attempts to communicate with me but I ignored her, feeling too heartbroken to do anything.

The nurse left but I had barely a few seconds of quiet time before my family rushed into the room.

I braced myself for the harsh words or the yelling but none of it came.

I opened my eyes to see them all standing there with relief across their faces.

My mother clasped her hands on my cheeks but I pulled away. No one had touched me other than the 5.

Mom looked heartbroken as she pulled away, tears unshed in her eyes that she was desperately trying to hold back.

Sounds were slowly coming back to me as I heard the beeping of the heart monitor.

"Ash" I heard my father say, his voice filled with sadness while still holding happiness.

When he knew he had my attention he started to speak. "We found security footage of Josh beating you."
I looked away.

My father sighed before moving to hug me.

My heart monitor picked up as I didn't want to be touched by someone that wasn't them.

I crawled as much as I could to the edge of the bed, the tubes still in my arms.

This time I actually got tears from both my mother and father. I moved my gaze over to my sister and frowned at her.

She was sitting in a chair with her arms wrapped around her, silently sobbing.

She looked up at me with hope faint in her eyes. That hope was lost when I glared at her.

She had chosen a piece of trash over the person that had been with her her entire life, who never lied to her.

I guess that just showed the type of person she is.

I started to get annoyed with the heart monitor and the constant sobbing of my parents to I started to get up, pulling the tubes out of me.

I didn't plan to talk. They didn't deserve any words that came out of my mouth since they didn't believe mine.

I guess I had to thank them though. If I didn't go to jail I wouldn't know who I was fighting for and I never would have experienced love.

This didn't stop me from shouldering past my parents, hard as I made my way out.

I was 18 already so they couldn't keep me in the hospital if I didn't want to be there.

I felt my family chasing after me but I lost them easily when I made my way into a large crowd of people.

Taking a few corners for extra measure, I made my way out of a side exit.

I wasn't prepared for the harsh light of sun to hit me directly in the face.

In the prison we worked outside but the cells were dark.

I had to take a minute to let my eyes adjust before continuing on.

I guess this was it for me. I was going to make them proud and build myself an empire that dwarfs anyone's.

I will succeed and it will start now.

New determination filled me as I made my way down the street, getting weird looks from passerby's because I was still in a hospital gown.

I didn't smile I didn't do anything but keep a straight face and walk. No matter what happens I vow to do this.

My first step was to find a small job to start out and get used to the general business empire.

I was ready to do this. Finding a small job was easy. I guess it will start in a barber shop.

I walked into the barber shop and immediately went to the counter and asked if I could speak to the manager.

The guy nodded, giving me a once over in my hospital gown.

"Yeah sure dude but you may want to change out of that. I have some clothes in my car if that is cool." The guy said, already walking towards the door with his keys being flung around his fingers.

The clothes were a bit big on me but nothing too drastic. I walked back into the shop, going around the back to talk to the manager.

I almost let out a gasp of surprise when the manager turned around in his big office chair.

Mannequin heads covered the shelves with different hairstyles and hair tools lay proudly on display but none of that mattered as I locked eyes with the manager.

"Kennith?!!"