Chapter five

-4 days later-

-Newt POV-
I was going over to Thomas' today for the history project since it was Saturday and we had no school.

I went over to the Edison's house at 11:38 and rang the doorbell. Almost a second later the door opened and Mr. Edison stepped out, looking in a hurry.

"Oh, hey Newt. Come on in I gotta go to work."

I didn't get a chance to reply before he was already in his car. I walked in and discarded my shoes before walking over to the kitchen where Teresa was eating a bowl of cereal and Mrs. Edison was drinking some coffee.

"Hey, Newt," Teresa greeted me.

"Hi."

"Good morning, honey. Have you had breakfast?" Mrs. Edison asked.

"Uh, yeah I have, thanks."

"Ok, well Tom is up in his room, he should be awake by now," She informed me. I thanked her and made my way up to Thomas' room. I opened the door and immediately slammed it shut when I saw Thomas shirtless in the middle of the room. I heard him laughing from the inside.

"Sorry! I'm sorry, I should have knocked."

He laughed again. "It's okay, Newt. You can come in now."

I slowly opened the door and stepped in when I saw he had put one on.

"Hey," I said, blushing furiously. He smiled at me and motioned to sit on the bed with him.

"So. What should we do first?"

"Well, I was thinking of doing a PowerPoint, so we should start with the research first."

We worked for about three hours before I desperately needed a toilet break. When I came back, Thomas looked up at me. "Someone was calling you, by the way."

"Oh, thanks. Did you catch the name?"

"Uh, I think it was Alby."

My face fell and he seemed to notice.

"Hey, you alright?"

"Yeah, it's fine. Don't worry about it."

I picked up my phone and sat on the end of his bed.

                                    Alby💔

                  One missed call from Alby💔

Newt: what do u want?

He tried to call me again but i declined.

Alby💔: pick up the phone I just wanna talk

Newt: I don't want to talk to u

He called again and I grudgingly picked up.

"What do you want?"

"Hey, baby. How are you?"

"Don't call me that. I'm not giving you a lot of time so speak now."

"Woah. Feisty, now are we?"

"I swear to god, Alby I'll hang up on you."

I noticed Thomas giving me worried glances so I excused myself to the back of the room.

"Okay, okay. I wanted to apologise, baby. I wanna get back together."

I huffed out a laugh, but it wasn't comedic. It was bitter and hateful. "Forget it."

"Oh, come on, baby. Don't be like that."

"I said no, Alby. And I told you to stop calling me that."

"Okay, then. Please Newt. I know you still love me."

I could practically hear the smirk on his face.

"Goodbye, Alby."

"No, Newt c'mo-"

I hung up before he could finish his sentence and realised I was trembling with rage. I walked back to Thomas and put my phone on silent. I sat on the bed and closed my eyes, taking some breaths to calm down.

"Hey, everything okay?" Thomas asked, putting aside his laptop and scooting slightly closer to me.

I nodded, then shook my head and laughed half heartedly. "Yeah, it is now." I looked at him, and for a second I let myself get lost in his chocolate brown eyes. It only lasted about a second but it felt like years to me. I needed to get my mind off of Alby.

"Hey, let's finish off for today, I'm tired. We can finish it tomorrow," Thomas said, shifting his gaze away from me and closing his laptop. For a second I could have sworn I saw a hint of a blush.

I'm being crazy.

"Yeah, okay. That's a good idea."

As if on cue, Minho burst through the door with Brenda. "Hey, shanks. We got bored so we're gonna finish tomorrow. Wanna hang out?" He didn't wait for an answer, then sat on the floor next to Brenda.

"Yeah, we actually just finished ourselves," Thomas said, looking slightly disappointed for some reason.

And then came Teresa and Lizzy. The room was crowded but I didn't mind, after all these are the people I'm gonna be spending the next few years with. May as well get used to their company.

"Let's play truth or dare," Brenda suggested. Everyone agreed and nominated Minho to go first.

"Newt. Truth or dare." He pointed to me with a smirk.

All eyes fell on me. "Uh, truth?"

"Okay. Out of everyone here, who would you rather make out with?"

I froze for a second and then worked out my answer, making it seem as if it's the only way. "Well, seeing as I'm gay, and you're my step brother, I guess Thomas is the only other option," I said, matter-of-factly. I didn't dare look Thomas' way.

Minho's smirk grew wider and he glanced between me and Thomas a few times before motioning for me to continue the game.

We played a few more rounds which included Lizzy downing a jar of pickle juice, Brenda and Thomas kissing which I was not bothered about at all, Teresa telling us that she used to have a crush on Mr. Vince and Minho ding-dong-ditching our pissy neighbour's house. After a few hours, Mrs. Edison walked in the room.

"Woah, there's a whole party in here!" she  exclaimed. I could see Thomas and Teresa inwardly cringing at their mother's terrible joke. "Should I order you kids some pizza?"

A chorus of 'yes'es and 'thanks' erupted from everyone and she went back downstairs to order the pizza.

Brenda left before it came because she lived quite far, so the rest of us ended up in front of the tv, eating pizza and having a Harry Potter marathon because why the fuck not?

Thomas fell asleep on me.

This chapter is unedited so I apologise for any mistakes.