Chapter eight

~Thomas POV~

We had just spent the entire day avoiding Alby wherever we went, and it was actually much harder than it seemed. At one point he went up to Minho and started having a conversation with him, Minho completely unaware of who he was. Alby knew what he was doing, though.

It was after school and we headed to the sports hall. Surprisingly it was only me, Newt and Gally who had detention. Jorge, the janitor, (who also happens to be Brenda's uncle) gave us some tasks and told us to lock up the classrooms when we're done 'so he can close the school and go home'.

Newt and I were given the task of re-stocking the janitor's closet.

After about an hour, Gally came and said he had finished and was going home. We stayed for about another half hour before we finally finished and were ready to leave.

"Did you tell your parents that you're gonna be home late? Don't want the same thing happening twice." I said to Newt as we walked to our lockers to get our stuff.

"Yeah, I told my dad it was a class detention cos he doesn't need to know we skipped class." He said with a smirk and a wink.

A fucking wink.

I laughed nervously. We made our way to the gates and I groaned as my face collided with the door. I grabbed my nose and rubbed it while I tried the doors a few more times.

"It's locked." Newt said next to me. "They must have closed these first let's go through the back ones."

They were locked too.

"We can't be locked in." Newt said, starting to get slightly nervous.

"It's ok, I'm sure Jorge has the keys, let's go find him." I reassured him.

We went all around the school twice and found no sign of Jorge. All the lights were switched off and no one was in sight. Newt took out his phone and cursed out loud when his phone was out of battery. "Great. Can you call someone?" He asked me.

I cringed and made a guilty face. "My mom took my phone when she found out I skipped."

He started panicking and pulling at his hair. "No, no, no. My dad's gonna get so worried. What if he calls the police or something? Shit! He might get pissed and not let me go on the trip-"

I cut his rambling off by tapping him on the shoulder and shouting 'you're it', then running off. He stopped talking and walking and looked at me with raised eyebrows. I turned and started slowly walking backwards. "We've got the whole school to ourselves. There's nothing we can do so we may as well have fun." I said, shrugging. He still didn't look convinced so I dropped my shoulders and groaned in fake annoyance. "C'mon, Newt. We'll deal with them tomorrow."

He bit his lip and shook his head as a small smirk slowly crept upon his face. He rolled his eyes. "Fine." And sprinted after me.

For someone with a limp, Newt was freakishly fast. I almost crashed into a wall three times running from him, and it always seemed to last longer when I was it. After a good forty-five minutes of running, we got exhausted and collapsed in the corridor side by side, shoulders touching and both heaving aggressively.

"Where are we gonna sleep?" Newt asks after a well deserved break.

"Uh. The library has carpet, I think that's the most comfortable place we're gonna find here." I suggest.

I stand up and help him to his feet, before an ungodly sound comes from my stomach. My eyes widen and I look at Newt, who then burst out laughing. "I think we should find something to eat first." He said, clutching his middle after his fit of laughter. I blushed and smiled at him.

"Yeah."

We head to the canteen and into the kitchen, where there were a few packaged sandwiches and some pudding and fruit. Newt grabs a tray and starts to pile it with food, before I stop him. "Isn't this stealing?" I asked hesitantly.

He simply shrugged. "They locked us in."

I raise my eyebrows as nod in agreement, then started filling up a tray for myself.

We ate the shitty school food and left our dishes in the sink, then went upstairs to the library. "Any idea what time it is?" I ask as we walk through the empty corridors.

"Nah. It's really weird, huh? Seeing the school this empty and silent. It's always in such chaos."

"Yeah. I kind of like it though." I say. We finally reach the library and luckily it's open. Newt pushes the doors open dramatically and swirls around, then bows.

"Welcome to our humble abode." He says, mimicking a posh accent. It kind of sounded like professor McGonagall. "For the night." He added, dropping the accent.

I laughed and shoved him playfully, earning an eyebrow raise and a 'are you challenging me' face.

I smirked at him and poked him in the waist, making him bend slightly. I threw my head back laughing. "Oh, so you wanna go there?" He said, smirking and slightly cocking his head before starting into a sprint. I barely had time to react, but luckily I managed to start running. He chased me through the columns of book cases and we were both laughing hysterically. He eventually cornered me between two bookshelves and a wall then tackled me to the ground and began to tickle me.

I begged for him to stop, even though I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt, but he continued. I finally manage to shove him off and grab hold of him, pinning him on the floor holding his wrists by either sides of his head while I straddled him.

We were catching our breaths, chests heaving up and down dramatically, and our laughs had dialed down to a smile. Our faces were inches apart, and we were practically breathing in the same air, but neither of us moved. We stayed there in a sort of trans for what felt like hours, even though I knew it was only a minute or two. His blonde hair looked so soft and his eyes shimmered in the moonlight. He kept shifting his gaze from my eyes to my lips.

I finally snapped out of it and looked away, clearing my throat as I rolled off him and hid my face to not show my red cheeks and, I might have been dreaming, but he seemed to do the same.

We were now laying side by side on the carpet floor, shoulders touching again. "I think I won that one." I said smirking.

He scoffed and turned his head to look at me. "Yeah, keep dreaming."

I laughed and sat up, discarding my hoodie and using it as a pillow. He did the same and I saw he was starting to doze off. Only then did I notice how tired I was. "Goodnight, Newt." I said while I closed my eyes.

"Goodnight, Tommy."

Really sorry for the late update, I had a ton of school work. Hope you liked it anyways :)