Chapter six

Tw// mention of suicide

-Newt POV- (again, I know)

Come Monday morning and I'm walking to school with the usuals. Thomas and I are talking about our history presentation today that we worked all day on yesterday, Teresa and Lizzy talking about some boy in their grade called Clint who is apparently, and I quote, 'so adorable with his curly hair and dimples'. Minho keeps making remarks about how he's better looking than him, what's new?

The presentation went fairly well, Mr. Vince gave us a B+ so we were pretty happy with that. Next I had English, science and economics. After class Thomas came up to me in the hallway and leaned in as if to not let anyone hear,

"What do you have next?"

"Drama. Why?"

He looked around once more to see if anyone was listening. "Wanna bunk?"

"What? Won't we get in trouble?"

"C'mon, it'll be fun. I'll take the blame if we do."

I knew I probably shouldn't, but I haven't done anything exciting since I've gotten here. That's the only reason I said, "Fuck it."

He grinned at me and grabbed my wrist, discreetly slipping out of the crowded hallways and out of the school building. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"You'll see." He still hasn't let go of my wrists as he leads me through the school parking lot and into a calm street. After about 20 minutes of walking we reached a forested area and I slowed my pace as Thomas began to walk deeper into it.

"If you're, taking me here to kill me, Thomas, just say so." I said, only half joking.

He chuckled and grabbed my wrist once more, dragging me to a big clearing where the sun hit perfectly.

I looked around in awe. "Wow, Thomas, this is amazing. How did you find this place?"

He shrugged. "I was on a run one morning and kinda went too far. I come here all the time to relax, though." He said, sitting on a giant rock. I sat beside him.

"So. What do we do now?"

"Think. Talk." He shrugged again. He seems to do that a lot.

"About what?"

He looked my way and smiled. "Anything you want."

I contemplated telling him for a few seconds, then decided I probably should. Plus, I like Thomas (not in that way) and I trust him. Why not tell him?

I took a deep breath, then sighed and turned so I was fully facing my friend. "Ok. I'm only telling you this because I trust you and because you deserve to know if we're gonna be friends."

He gave me a questioning and concerned look, but motioned for me to continue.

"Not because I want you to pity me and not because I feel bad for myself so if you start pitying me I'll leave. And promise me you won't speak until I'm finished."

"Woah, Newt. That's a lot of rules." Thomas joked.

I deadpanned and he got the hint and nodded. "Ok, so I'm sure you've been wondering where I got this limp." I started, looking down at my crossed legs.

Thomas' face grew shocked. "You don't have t-"

I looked up and put my finger on my mouth. "What did I say?" He closed his mouth and raised his eyebrows. I tapped my mouth a few times before putting my finger down and continuing. "Last year, my mum died."

Thomas' face softened. He opened his mouth as if to say something but quickly stopped himself.

I looked back down to my crossed legs and started fiddling with my shoe laces. "I-" I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a moment. "She was my favourite person in the whole world apart from Lizzy. I couldn't handle it. I felt lost without her. I saw the way Lizzy and dad were just as devastated and I couldn't do anything to help make them feel better. I felt worthless and shitty."

I stopped and looked up at Thomas. I could see right through him. He had pity in his eyes. At least he tried to hide it, I guess.

"So, one day, I snuck out really early in the morning and I found a really high building and climbed up it. Of course I chickened out and went to find a shorter one." I laughed lightly. Thomas laughed with me for a second but it was a really uncomfortable laugh. It had no humour in it. "Anyways, I jumped." I said it really quietly. After a moment I took a deep breath while looking back up at Thomas. "Luckily I only fractured my leg and it wasn't too bad so I could still walk. I'm still stuck with this stupid limp for the rest of my life, though." I lightly slapped my leg. Thomas looked absolutely shocked, but I could still see pity written all over his face. "I told you not to pity me." I whined.

"I'm not! I'm not, I just.." He countered. "Do you still feel that way?" He asked concerned.

"What, suicidal? Nah. No I stopped feeling that way when I saw my dad and Lizzy in the hospital. I saw that me dying wouldn't do any good, and it would just break them even more."

He nodded. "Good. And you know if you ever do feel like that again- god forbid -I'm always here to talk. And so is Minho, even though he doesn't seem it he can be really supportive when needed."

I smiled warmly. "Thanks, Tommy." I mentally cursed myself for letting that slip.

His eyebrows immediately shot up.

Great, now you scared him. Good job, Newton.

A smirk found his face almost right after, though. "Tommy? I like it." He grinned.

I blushed furiously and cleared my throat. "We should probably get back, yeah? Dad's gonna get worried." I hopped off the rock and picked up my bag off of the floor, Tommy followed suit. We talked about everything and nothing all the way home, and didn't even realise it was starting to get a bit dark. We said bye and walked to our separate houses, both grinning like idiots.

"Newton Sonya Isaacs, where on earth have you been?!" That was the voice of my dad scolding me as soon as I walked through the door. Lizzy and Kira were soon by his side and eventually Minho, who had ran down the stairs at the mention of my name.

"I'm alright, I just got a bit caught up, but I was with Thomas so nothing happened. Sorry for making you worry." I said as I discarded my shoes. I saw Minho smirk at the mention of Thomas.

My dad shook his head as Lizzy and Kira went back to whatever they were doing before. "Fine but don't ever do that again." My dad said and he joined Kira in the kitchen. Minho grinned at me and I grinned back, then we went to our room.

"We didn't find you guys after school and you both weren't picking up the phone I got worried for a second." Minho said.

"Sorry, we got a little bit caught up." I said, looking down to cover my blush from the memory. I checked my phone to see that I did in fact have several missed calls from Minho, Lizzy, Teresa, and one from my dad.

Minho smirked as he flopped down in the bed. "With what?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows obnoxiously.

I scoffed and threw a pillow at him. "Shut up."

Bit sad but I hope you guys liked it.