Chapter 1

Note: I've changed the timeline of the MHA universe, simply to fit this fanfiction. I suppose it's not super important information but you and the rest of the characters in your class's age is 18.

"Morning, champ" my dad walks up to the breakfast table from his bedroom, messing up my hair as he walks past, grinning slightly at my annoyance. Grabbing the pancake mix, he looks down his nose at my breakfast "Look at you with your fruit salad, Mrs Healthy" he reaches for the frying pan in the bottom cabinet, lifting his leg up slightly to maintain balance.
"It would be much easier to just crouch" i smile at him being his typical self, almost pulling off a penché arabesque to pick up a frying pan instead of doing the simple thing and bending his knees.
"Alright, alright. Listen," he turns around to face me, pan now in hand "pro hero's like me, are a different breed, ok?".
Rolling my eyes but laughing all the same, i reply "that's so painfully obvious".

There's a moment of comfortable silence with only the sound of my fork hitting the sides of the bowl and the sound of pancakes sizzling.

He comes to sit down in front of me at our small round table, placing the plate and the tub of Nutella down firmly.
I watch as he smooths the Nutella on, soon cutting a forkful and taking a bite.
"Mmmmmm" he sighs, a small bit of the chocolate-y sauce on the corner of his mouth "UA, huh?"
"Yep,

brings you back to the good old days"
"brings me back to the good old days-"

I shake my head, mocking him and the line he speaks every time he brings UA up.

"I remember being a young thing, bouncing around Gym Gamma, when i tell you i was the best-"
"You were the best. I get it, dad" I smile at him as he squeezes my cheek.
"You get it, champ"

"So, how are you feeling" he looks at me seriously.
"Nervous, if i'm honest. The only reason i got in was because of recommendations. Compared to everyone else, do i deserve to be there? What if everyone else is so much better than me, I won't be living up to the family name" I ramble to myself.
"Kiddo,"
I focus my thoughts back to my dad.
"There's a reason you were recommended." he assures me, putting on his hero smile.
I sigh and push around the last of my grapes before piercing them with my fork, and shoving them in my mouth.
"I guess" i say, mouth still full.
"Chew before you speak" he mutters, his mouth also full.
"Pretty hard to make into a habit when you're doing the exact same thing" I giggle, standing up from my seat and taking my bowl over to the dishwasher. I head towards the bathroom and then lock the door behind me. Sighing, i lay my head down on the sink counter.

I have little faith in myself. My confidence has been completely knocked down after everything that's happened.

I snatch the toothbrush from the stand and run it under the water.
Toothpaste.
Brush.

I watch myself in the reflection, checking my uniform is tidy and correct.

Two minutes on the timer.

My hair looks fine. Right? I feel like keeping my hair down is fine...
I wonder what my class mates are like. I'm sure they're talented... probably amazing.

One minute left.

I swear ever so slightly. I don't really feel like making friends if i'm honest. Losing my mum hurts a lot and i don't really want to feel it again.

Time up.

I spit out the toothpaste, rinse and put away the toothbrush. I smooth down my skirt and brush my fingers through my hair. Taking one final glance at the mirror, i unlock the door and grab my bag from the hallway.

"I should probably be off" I sigh and walk over to my dad, who's still stuffing his face with pancake, except now he's added a banana to the mix. Better than just Nutella and pancakes, I guess.
"Look! I added something healthy just for you" he jokes, teasing my diet.
I laugh fakely as I give him a quick kiss on the head and a hug and turn to leave.
"Stay hydrated, yeah?"
"I will" i smile.
"And work hard"
"Yep"
"Eat!"
"Yep. I will"
"Meet a nice boy!"
"Ye- what" I turn around to scowl at my father.

"I'm just saying" he shrugs "that's where me and your mother met"
I stand staring at him for a bit. I have no intention of finding anyone and he knows this.
"Ok," I grin sarcastically "No." I bend down and put on my shoes. He just laughs and i shake my head.

*****

I was about to turn a corner when some punk started shouting
"HEY YOU"
I continue walking, assuming they're talking to someone else.
"OI" I hear footsteps "DONT IGNORE ME, NERD"
I swing around to be met with a boy, about my age, which i could only describe as an angry Pomeranian. He was taller than me, around maybe 5"7, i'd say, his hair was blonde and strangely spiky. Does he style it like that? Or is it naturally as aggressive as he is?
His face was abnormally close and scrunched, leaning down and looking at me straight in the eye.

If i wasn't such a bitch myself, i'm sure i'd be intimidated.

"Stop doing that thing with your mouth. It's weird" I smirk as he becomes visibly more enraged.
"DOING WHAT, DAMN NERD"
"Exactly that" I retort "anyway, what do you want"
Pissed puppy steps back "I saw your uniform but i never saw you at the entrance exam."
He was still loud, but at least he wasn't bursting my ear drums anymore. Does this guy speak in all caps or what?
I look at his uniform, also, noticing it's the UA uniform.

"Oh, okay. Well, i was recommended" i turn around and start walking again, feeling proud.
"WHERE ARE YOU GOING, BASTARD" he starts to shout like he was just a moment ago.
"Going to school. Where else? Not going to be late on the first day are you?" I glance back at him smugly. This guy has a massive ego for sure. It's going to become my job to tear it down. He humphs and catches up to me taking long strides and soon passes me.

Is he really making this into a race?

I smirk and let my competitiveness start to command my body and my legs begin to move faster.
I meet his speed and narrow my eyes at him. In return, he snickers and reverts his eyes back to the path straight ahead of him, speeding up again.
It doesn't take me long to match him once again which clearly frustrates him. It only makes me feel powerful.

We end up breaking into a full on sprint. This wasn't just about who was fastest now. It was about who was the best, and i was going to win it.

We race into UA's entrance, up the stairs and then down the hall.

Are we in the same damn class, too?

I spot our classrooms door... and it appears so does he.

1-A.

We make one last bit of eye contact before we push our limits for the very end of the competition.
The door is just meters from me now.
If i can just. Push. A little. More.

We reached the door at the exact same time which only resulted in us crashing into each other. We stumble backwards slightly but regain our balance.

We make eye contact again, except this time, he's grinning at me rather than growling. We attempt to catch our breaths, bending our knees and folding over.

"The names Bakugo and I definitely won that"
"L/N, and i think you're mistaken"

"Excuse me." a tired voice says.

We both spin around to be met with a very sleep deprived looking man.

"What did i just witness?"