Chapter 26

I hear a loud buzzing in my ear but it soon fades away as i become aware. It's replaced by steady beating... a heart monitor?
I try to open my eyes, only managing a squint. I'm in a bed, it's so warm. I'm too weak to move or even make any noise, i don't even want to. I let the warmth pull me in as i shut my eyes again, surrendering to slumber.

That same cycle repeats for a bit. Coming to, wondering where i am, and then falling back out of consciousness.

Had it been hours? Maybe even days?

"It's been a week" I hear a voice sigh somewhere around me. My sense of direction is out of whack. I open my eyes all of a sudden, sitting up at a fast pace.
"Where am i?" i breathe heavily, pulling at the tubes and wires attached to my body. The heart monitor speeds up, beeping at an atypical rhythm.
Nurses and doctors rush in, attempting to calm my hysterical state. It doesn't work so they pull out a needle.
"What are you doing?!" I shout weakly as they push the needle into my skin, sedating me.
The world suddenly slows down as they lay me back in the bed, my vision becoming blurry once again but this time i see a silhouette.
"Bakugo?" I squeeze out, before my eyes shut once more.

*****

I flutter my eyes open.

"A hospital?" i mumble as i look around the room. I notice multiple vases of flowers on my windowsill accompanied with small gifts and chocolates. I smile a feeble smile at the thought of my friends visiting.

I hear the door creak open and i snap my head around to face it. Bakugo's face peers around the door, grinning awkwardly before actually walking in.
"Hey, fucker, how you feeling?" he pulls a chair up to the bed, sitting on it and facing me.
"dead. i'm alive but i'm dead" I joke, referencing the meme. His nose crinkles as he lets out a laugh.

Even in my current circumstances, my humour hasn't wavered.

"Did i go crazy the other day? They had to sedate me right?" i inquire, fuzzy memories clouding my mind.
"The other day? L/n, that was half an hour ago" He chuckles slightly.

Time is so fucked up.

"Really?"
He just nods in reply.

I lay there for a minute, resting.
"Shoto?" i ask tiredly, not really bothered to get any more words out.
"He'll visit later with the rest of the class" his voice is calm and quiet.
Wow i've never seen Bakugo like this before. I hum and let my heavy eyelids shut.

The next time i woke up it was the next day.

Wait why am i even in the hospital?

There's a knock at the door before it begins to open, Iida's hand waves as he marches in, 1-A following close behind.
"Heyyy" i croak, grinning like an idiot.
"How are you today?" Midoriya asks.
"Tired, very tired" I sigh and blink slowly, looking at everyone to see who was here.
No Shoto.

Mina and the boys come over, a basket of a few things.
In the basket there's a few magazines, two pairs of fluffy socks, a neck pillow, cheezits, skittles, chocolate stars and a few more snacks i don't really recognise. They've also put a colouring book in there and some felt tip pens.
"What is this?" i laugh frailly.
"A hospital basket" Denki gives me a toothy smile.

"Oh the grenade stress ball is from Bakugo. We told him not to put it in there but he was insistent" Kirishima laughs awkwardly, scratching his head.
"ITS A GOOD GIFT!" he shouts, causing a ringing to start in my ears.
"Bakugo" everyone sighs in annoyance.

There's footsteps running down the hall near my room for a brief moment before the door swings open.
"I'm so sorry i'm late" Shoto gasps for air, folded over catching his breath.

I instantly feel butterflies in my stomach when he looks over in my direction with a smile.
He walks over to me, i feel my heart begin to race....

...apparently so does the machine.

The beeps speed up and i turn a bright red.
This is so embarrassing.

"Hey" he whispers.
"Hey" i smile, trying to calm down my heartbeat but failing.
"Uh" he starts "I brought this with me".
He holds up my AOT cape/blanket thing. He knows me so well.

"We are going to leave" Iida says suddenly.
"Oh... okay bye guys" i wave as they leave the room.

Shoto sits on the edge of my bed. I reach for the blanket but my arms are shaky.
Smiling, he uses the remote to tilt the bed up slightly so it's easier for me to sit up.
Once i've sat up, he wraps it around me and does up the first button.

The look in his face is concentrated.
He does up the second button and then looks at me in the eyes, expressionless.
That's a face i haven't seen in a while. He appears to be thinking to himself but i don't know what about.

"I was scared" he quietly says after a few minutes of scanning my face.
I stay silent, waiting.
"I was scared because i thought i would be without you and.... I don't want you to leave" his eyes tear up slightly before he reacts and rubs his eyes with the sleeves of his sweater.
"Shoto, i'm not going anywhere" i smile gently but he avoids my gaze.

Eventually he turns to me, and reaches behind my head, pulling the hood of the cape over my head. He smiles to himself, pleased, and then kisses me softly on the cheek, then on my lips.

The heart rate monitor speeds up again and he smiles into the kiss, letting out a small laugh. That doesn't help my case at all.
When he pulls away I hide behind my hands, the monitor still going crazy.

"Hey, chill out you're going to go into cardiac arrest" he jokes.
I laugh at his joke from behind my hands, my face red hot.
He forcibly moves them "I love you, y/n"
His sincereness makes me flustered all over again.
"I love you too, Shoto"

All of a sudden, a sharp pain shoots through me like lightning, causing me to let out a cry of pain. I squeeze my eyes shut and grit my teeth while it comes in waves.
"Y/n? Are you okay?"

Are you an idiot? of course not.

The pain disappears almost as quickly as it arrived. I breathe heavily for a minute and open my eyes. To my surprise, the air around us had turned a dark grey.
"What the fuck?" i mumble as i scan the area around me.
The longer i look the more i see

...them.