Chapter 6

[1 month and 5 days into the school term]

I tap my pen on the table, rhythmically, watching the clock. A normal English lesson in the hero studies course is so draining. It's not fun at all.
"L/N F/N"

I look up to see Present Mic stood in front of me.
"Care to answer the question?"
"mmm" I think sarcastically "no"
"If you don't want to be here, you shouldn't be here" he replies, annoyed.

I'm about to take that as a free 'leave the lesson' pass but i think about how mad my dad would be if i didn't try hard at school. I sigh before apologising quietly "sorry, Mr. Hizashi"
"ALLLLRIGHT! Let's get back to the lesson!"
I cant handle his energy on a Monday.

I stop tapping my pen and watch the board as he analyses a poem we've been studying for the past few days, making notes every now and then.
Someone's eyes catch me from across the room, though, familiar grey and blue ones.

We hadn't spoken in ages. Maybe I overreacted about having a small crush, and maybe it upset him that i completely avoided him but now he avoids me too. It's especially awkward after school in the dorms since we're on the same floor and frequently see each other. However, i can't deny how flustered i become in moments like these when he looks my way.

"Can someone tell me what this line is?"
I decide to finally put some effort in and raise my hand.
"L/N"
"It's a metaphor."
"Good, why and what is it suggesting"
"Metaphors tend to use: as 'blank' as a 'blank'. This one is describing his heart to beat as fast as a humming birds wings, suggesting the fear he feels when he notices the destruction of his home town. But that's not all, it's also a contrast since hummingbirds are associated with peace and happiness. A hummingbird and a town up in flames doesn't fit"
"HELL YEAHHH!" Present Mic yells, throwing his fist into the air.

I look over at Todoroki, but he had already turned back around. For some reason that made my heart sink a bit although it shouldn't.
"So sexy smart" i hear a small voice behind me.
I turn around and glare at Mineta, Denki is laughing in the seat next to him. I pick up Mineta's note pad and hold it above my head. I'm not tall at all but Mineta is wayyyy smaller than i am.

I grin to myself as he climbs on top of his own desk, still no where near his book.
"Hey, give it back!" he starts jumping in an attempt to reach.
"Awww poor Mineta" I give him a pouty face.

"L/N PASS IT OVER HERE!" Bakugo calls to me, smirking and holding his hand up.
I throw it over, him catching it one handed. He threatens to blow it up as his hands begin to spark.
Just as Bakugo was about to make it explode,

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HALF AND HALF BASTARD?!"

Todoroki had taken the notebook off of Bakugo and was about to hand it back to Mineta. Once he did, he sighs and looks to Bakugo.
"You're going too far." He says nonchalantly before returning to his seat.

Both me and pomeranian watch him sit back down and exchange glances. What a goody two shoes.

*****

Wiping my mouth, i release the button i was holding down on for the water fountain.
"Me, the manliest, next" Kirishima pushes me out of the way jokingly.
"Chill, Kiri" I roll my eyes playfully and go stand next to the others "let's find a lunch table"

As we're walking into the cafeteria, Sero spots a table right at the back and makes a run for it to claim it as ours. Me, Mina, Kiri, Denki and Bakugo follow behind and take a seat once we get there. Sitting down, I recognise the back of Todoroki's head at the table next to us. I quickly turn my head away before he swivels to see me watching him once again.

I get out my lunch and begin to eat it, the entire table is laughing and giggling while i can't bring myself to. He's always on my mind. I'm basically holding my breath every time he's even near me.
I take a bite out of my sandwich and stare into the distance.

"Uhm... L/N" Denki looks at me wide eyed.
"What?" I refocus and look at everyone who's looking back at... me? no. Behind me.

I twist my torso and gasp out of shock when i notice Todoroki standing directly behind me, looking down at me. I accidentally jump my chair back and one of the legs lands on his shoe.
He lets out a cry and winces.
"Oh my god i'm so sorry" I stand up and apologise profusely "Is your foot okay? oh my god I- Todoroki i'm so sorry"
Although still recovering, "no no it's fine, that was my fault. I did stand directly behind your chair after all." he laughs breathlessly and observes me closely... "You have mayo on your mouth" he points to the corner of his own, insinuating i mirror him.
I have a habit of flipping the image and I wipe the other side of my face.
"Did i get it?" I ask sheepishly.
"Not quite.." he smiles softly "juussst here" and uses his own thumb to wipe it away.

HES SO CLOSE TO ME.

I feel myself begin to blush but i clear my throat quickly. Regaining my composure, i confidently say "thanks".
"All good" he takes a small step back "I realised you left your pencil case on your desk last lesson."
Again, with the unreadable expression.

"Oh, i did, fuck."
He opens his backpack and hands me the plain black pencil case, emotionless.

I put it away in my own bag and then stand there awkwardly before pulling out my chair, making sure to avoid his feet this time.
"Th- thanks"
He just nods and goes back to his own table, sitting down with no changes of face or anything.

"What the fuck is with you and half and half?" Bakugo accuses.
"Craaaazy tension" Mina adds.
"Something happened a while back... but it's nothing really. I think i was a bit of a dickhead if i'm honest" sighing, i pick the sandwich back up but before i could take a bite, my wrist was grabbed and i dropped it back on the table. I whine at the loss of my sandwich.

Mina yanked me up out of my chair and strode out of the cafeteria, literally dragging me behind her.

We reach the hallway and she swings around to face me.

*bi panic*

"What happened between you guys?" She raises her brow, inquiring about the tension of the moment having just passed.
I think to myself briefly. I don't want to tell anyone about the bruise and the marks all over his body... i don't know what his personal situation is yet. So i decide come up with a story that we had an argument over chores and it got awkward as fuck from there.
"Oh, that's it?" she crosses her arms.
"Uhh yeah" i shrug, about to walk away.

"You like him"
"i WHAT" I widen my eyes at her, shock by her statement.
"I think that you did argue but you're also crushing." she smiles smugly, knowing full well she's right.
"How can you imply such a ridiculous statement???" i feel my cheeks beginning to heat up again "I don't like him and i never will, he's so plain, no emotions. How could i like someone who has no emotions? Also he's not even talkative. If i know nothing about him how could i possibly be crushing on him? He's so introverted the most i know about him is that he likes cold Soba. Thirdly-"

I'm recognise i'm talking too much and cut myself off.
She just looks at me with a 'seriously?' expression before giggling and shaking her head.
"Tell me more about pretty boy Todoroki later" she whispers and then pulls me back to the table. I look over to the unreadable boy before returning my attention to my friends conversations.