Chapter 31

It's a lovely evening: the sky is clear and both the sun and moon are visible though the massive star is setting. It's creating a golden glow and causing the trees to appear as silhouettes. The birds are still tweeting energetically and there's a slight breeze which brushes my skin every so often. It's completely serene.

His arm is around my shoulders as my hand is placed on his nearest shoulder. I would try to reach his other one but my arms are too short compared to his muscular frame.

Although i feel slightly fatigued from today's training, nothing wakes me up more than an evening walk with Sho to end the day. Ones touch has never made me feel so safe... up until him.

I remember months ago i vowed to myself i would never fall in love. Even so, i cant confute that what i'm feeling right now is what i was so desperate to avoid.

I had pledged not to fall in love but even though my brain is stubborn, his character and presence captured my heart like a camera captures a picture - all it took was a click and a short second.
From the beginning, i found him compelling. He was so closed off, resisting letting anyone in. Dare i say, more stubborn than me. But before we knew it, months had passed and we both knew each other's darkest pasts.
I don't remember the exact moment i fell in love. The crush was a crush but it turned into so much more.

We may only be 18 but i already know i want to spend the rest of my life with him.

I wanted to never fall in love again because the pain of losing my mother was so deep. I never wanted to experience that again and a simple solution is to never love anyone. It felt unbearable at the time. One funny thing i found about grief was that it's not a consistent feeling of sadness. It comes in waves... No. Tsunami's.
On Monday you could be feeling brilliant. You're productive, social, energetic, getting on with life. The next day, however, you don't want to eat, leave your bed, get dressed or do anything but just... exist.
It was like drowning. Every time you reach the surface, a wave crashes over you, the current pulling you back under. And each time, you have to swim back upwards and gasp for air. With this repetitive cycle, it's easy to get tired... your heart feels too weak to continue but you keep pushing on because you want to make them proud. Just as it's becoming impossible to keep up with, you notice small changes like the current getting weaker, the waves becoming smaller and more distanced apart. Your head remains above water for longer than usual. Sure, you still go under... and it's no less painful when you do, but it's not as often. It becomes easier to cope with.

Another analogy i like to use to describe grief as life moves on is: Life is like a cake. There are so many layers: some good, some bad but in the end they create a final product: you. And the more you live on, the more layers are added to the cake and the good ones begin to drown out the bad ones. Right now, i might not have many layers above the grief of losing my mum, but i do have a few and it's definitely weakened the taste of suffering i used to experience almost everyday.
One of them is Shoto. I genuinely believe he's my saviour. He came into my life when it was at its hardest, making me recognise my pain and letting me rely on him for support. I couldn't ask for more.

"What are you thinking about?" he says calmly and kneads my shoulder slightly.
"You being my rock for the past months" I lock eyes with him and he smiles cheekily.
"I think you're mistaken, Kiri is a rock, not me"
"Shotooooo" I whine "I'm serious"
"I'm sorry" he chuckles to himself, the golden glow of the sun resting upon his heavenly face "you really mean that?" his soft voice soothes me.
"yes. 100%"
"What's the phrase... uno reverse" the corners of his eyes crinkle.

His smile makes the butterflies erupt, i still haven't gotten used to this feeling.
"You're so" i make a grrr noise as i scrunch my free hand up in front of me. How can one be hot and adorable at the same time?
"What does that mean?" he blinks multiple times at me, watching my hand gesture.
"I don't know - I cant describe it but that's exactly what you are"
"You want to crush me?"
"Noooo, idiot" I shove him gently. He doesn't really move from my force he just slightly stumbles which annoys me "you're strong."
"Woah, don't say it with such conviction" he smirks as he shoves me back which throws me off balance.

I furrow my brows at him "Hey" i place my hands on my hips and glare at him "dont be so rough i'm only small"
"That wasn't rough, i'll show you rough"

As he says that we both pause our footsteps, wide eyed.
I burst out into laughter and watch as his face turns from his normal skin tone into something similar that of a strawberry. "AHAHAHAH SHOTO THAT SOUNDED SO WRONG"
His embarrassment soon turns back to his calm state and he shrugs, continuing to walk.
Now it's me turning red. Wait what? What's he suggesting?

"You just gonna stand there or what?" He turns around to face me, he's quite far along the path now so i assume i've been standing there for a while longer than i anticipated.
I clear my throat "uhm yeah"

I have to jog slightly to catch up with him.
He throws his arm around my shoulder again, pulling me in close.
It's not long before we reach the woods and we settle down in a spot. It's starting to get dark now but i enjoy the night time so i'm not too bothered.

"Alright," he strains as he sits down "so what do you know about this quirk?"
"Pretty much nothing, just that it's a healer" i sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose "i don't even know how to activate it"
"Well, let's start with that. Just try and activate it and see what happens" he says supportively.
"It won't work ive tried"

He takes my hands "Just... try" he looks at me attentively.
"Okay" i blush due to his face being inches from mine. He snatches a quick kiss before sitting back, leaning on his hands.

His leg is on my lap and has a rather large bruise. I can't believe he's letting me do this i can't even control this quirk. What if it goes horribly wrong and then it will be all my fault. What if i end his hero career right here, right now. Everything lays in the palms of my hands and i'll be to blame if - no - when something goes wro-

"You just gonna stare at it?"
I snap out of my ramble and shut my eyes, placing my hand on top of the bruise lightly to not hurt him.

"Okayyy first of all" Shoto starts.
I peep my eyes open and look at him.
"Don't try so hard"

I nod and shut my eyes again, not thinking about it so much.
"Relax" his whisper sends a tingle down my spine and i do as he suggests.
"Goosebumps? How cute" he flirts and i open my eyes back up and threaten him with a punch.
He flinches which takes me by surprise since it was meant to be a joke but i should've remembered...
"fuck, I'm sorry" guilt rushed through me.
"it's okay" he smiles at me "quirk."

I try to brush off what had just happened and i place my hand back on the bruise, relaxing my muscles and not trying too hard.
Although my eyes are closed i notice a bright light through my eyelids, causing me to jolt them open.
The glow is coming from my hand which is placed firmly but gently on his leg.

Is it working??

I pull my hand away, scared if i'm doing it wrong. The light instantly stops without fading out which leaves us back in the darkness of the woods.

"Woah that was something else"
I can just about see his shocked face in the dark.
"Did it work?" I ask and he ignites his flames in his left hand to bring us light again.
"It did, indeed... Don't forget who coached you. I'm such a good sensei" he playfully rolls his eyes.
"Ha. Ha. thanks, Sensei" I play along sarcastically.

I yawn and stretch out my arms. Apparently Shoto used that to his advantage as i'm scooped up and thrown over his shoulders, leaving me hanging upside down.
It happens so fast i don't realise at first but as soon as i do, i put up a fight. I hit his back but he has no reaction other than laughing at my attempts to break free.
"Put me down" i cry out in frustration.
"No" he says calmly, stopping his laughter.
I continue my best efforts at escaping his grip but it's no use so i just hang there.

Plan B.

"Put me the fuck down, Todoroki" I say sternly.
"Ouchie, my last name said in such a serious tone" he faked hurt "you're cute when you're mad"
That only pisses me off more but in a flustered way. I try and thrash my legs around and in reply, he slightly bites my thigh which stops me in my tracks. Oh boy did i enjoy that. If i wasn't already red from the blood rushing to my head, i sure am now.
He hums "i knew that would do it"