Chapter Thirty - DEATH

𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ

𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ.
THE PRICE OF A SIN

•••

"Uh, guys?"

The wolf's—Beast's—eyes locked with mine.

If I was an artist, if I had a sliver of artistic talent, I would smear a canvas with paint. Paint the colour of his eyes. Golden; the shade of the sun with a rim of darkness, a flush of sin, a shard of danger.

Beast's bestial form marked me with a pointed gaze, his legs poised, his teeth paving way to a low growl and the alarm bells in my head rang louder.

He gave me something akin to a smirk—a smile tainted with peril.

I felt everyone freeze behind me.

"Small steps, Pandora." Pride's voice quivered. "No sudden movements."

Her fear only made mine worse.

I took another step back. Beast's eyes followed my every move.

Watch your back, little one.

For once, I was grateful of Silsela's hissing in my head—too grateful to pay attention to her warning. My relief disappeared as soon as my back met the table with a painful thud.

A whimper slipped past my lips as the talons of the Vessel inside me became unhinged—the inky swirls looped amongst each other. But this time, they rushed over my skin.

Rapid; a race of twists and turns, growing designs curving and curling into one another. Pinpricks spread through my palms and I could do nothing but let my hands hang loosely by my side—loose as the creature stepped closer.

Be aware of your weaknesses.

Be aware of yourself.

I shakily extended a hand until my skin met with the cool wood of the table. I pressed my lips together and pushed harder against the table until fire coursed through my veins.

It coursed and rushed, burnt and scarred inside me. The hollowness pushed against my ribcage, leaving no space for air, no space for me to breathe.

The beast's eyes widened, his ears perking up.

Gone.

The table left not a trace of its shadow behind it, all signs of the wood gone.

It had been large—large enough to seat seven Sins, seven Virtues, two Ophidians and me.

Still, the empty gape inside me remained just as hollow.

"Move out of the way, Pandora," Gratitude spoke from directly behind me, a warning lurking in his call.

"On my count," Humility ordered.

I struggled to take my eyes off the growing rage on Beast's face. His power rippled through his midnight blue fur, rising just as my Vessel had.