Chapter Thirty Two - WRATH

𝑤𝑟𝑎𝑡ℎ(𝗻𝗼𝘂𝗻): strong vengeful angeror indignation

𝑤𝑟𝑎𝑡ℎ
(𝗻𝗼𝘂𝗻): strong vengeful anger
or indignation.

•••

Wrath smirked, rubbing his hands together.

"My turn."

I took an involuntary step back, still reeling from training with Gluttony. "You're enjoying this way too much."

"Oh, love." Wrath's red eyes blazed. "I haven't even started yet."

I shot Gluttony a pleading glance. "I thought I'd train for Gluttony for longer."

Training with her had seemed to last for a lifetime and my limbs still trembled from the shock of her Sin. But for some reason, the mischief on Wrath's face sent fear inching up my spine.

Gluttony's voice came smooth and velvety. "Not needed, little one. You've conquered my Sin already. And don't forget that we're short on time."

And then she turned and took a step as if taking a step into the air itself. Her orange smoke loomed in her absence, whispering and swirling as it settled on the floor.

The threat of the Seraphics was forever looming above my head—like the steady ticking of a clock, the memory of their pale face and icy hair reminded me of the risks with every passing second.

"Right." I swallowed, turning back to Wrath. "And what will you be doing?"

His wings inched slowly into his back and I caught a flash of pain over his expressions. "I'll try to install my Sin in you. But I won't go as easy on you as Gluttony."

I blinked. "Gluttony didn't go easy on me." The intoxication of her Sin still ran heavily through my blood, dizzying and alcoholic.

"You're standing on your two feet." He watched me carefully. "Talking and breathing. Trust me, she went incredibly easy on you."

Dread settled in my gut.

"Wrath is a Sin of the emotions." He began to circle me, his steps echoing loudly in the hollow walls. "It can be harder or easier than the other Sins, depending on the person."

I nodded. "I can absorb abilities. Do you think I can absorb yours?"

He stopped, mid-step. "The Ophidians are working through some old records to look at the extent of your absorption."

It wasn't an answer—neither a yes nor a no.

But one thing was clear; there was too much at danger here.

I turned on my feet to face him. "When do we start?"

His Sin collided with me without warning. It was red and hot—angsty and untamed.

Where Gluttony's Sin had been addictive, looming and messy, his was cutting, poised and stinging. I hissed in a sudden breath as Wrath's Sin broke through the black hurdles my Vessel set up for it.

It escaped the lair of its talons, the swing of the pattern escaping down my arms—everything.

Wrath's eyes narrowed slightly and he took a small step back as if to get a better view. "I'm going to tell you what no one else will dare to." A wicked grin curved through his lips. "You'll never learn control."

The anger in me flared.

His Sin warred with the thrum of my heart, coiling around my throat in a suffocating hold until I could think of nothing but red. Red and more red.

Another face flashed before my eyes. Golden and sharp. His cheekbones looked as if they were made of steel, clenched and impatient.

Beast.

I was angry that I was stuck here. I was angry that I was stuck here with a relentless and unmoving Beast.

Stay in your room, he had said.

Like hell.

"You'll never learn to control your Vessel," Wrath's eyes darkened into the shade of blood, "and you'll be the end of this Court."

He began to circle me again, moving further away as if he expected a storm.

Beast's face flashed before my eyes again and that same tugging grew taut inside me—it was like a string. One end was attached to me and the other was with someone else. It didn't matter how close I tried to get to the end of the string, it always grew further.

Like water in the desert to a thirsty man, my thirst would never be quenched.

My Vessel would never get enough and—and Wrath was right.

I may very well be the end of this Court.

"You're going to regret ever meeting Beast." My eyes snapped up at his name. "You're going to regret—"

"Wrong," I rasped. "You'll regret challenging me."

I let my Vessel loose again, its tight coils battling against the darkness of Wrath's Sin. The emptiness inside me grew, pushing up against my ribcage, leaving no space for air.

The silence was deafening in my ears, like the silence that followed a storm. I dropped onto the floor in an exhausted pile of limbs and sweat.

"That was incredible," Wrath whispered, his arm coiling around me.

He brought me easily to my feet as if I weighed not a penny.

I struggled to find my voice, my eyelids growing heavy. "Did you mean it?" I asked, dropping my head against his shoulder. "Do you think I'll be the end of the Unholy Court?"

"No."

But it wasn't Wrath that had spoken. I didn't even need to open my eyes to recognise that presence, that scent of power and safety.

Beast's pulled me into him, his arms curling around my knees to hold me to his chest.

"Wrath did not mean it," he growled. "You have control, Pandora." His voice lowered as he traced a finger down my cheek, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "More than I have."

The scuffle of shoes against marble sounded and I fought my eyes open in time to catch Wrath trip over his feet.

The bright pink allure of Sloth's shadow carved my attention to him as he walked in, his face relaxed in sleepiness.

"Wrath." He blinked. "Are you drunk?"

Wrath gave me a lopsided smirk. "I think so."

I'd absorbed some of Gluttony's Sin.

We both collapsed into darkness at the same time.

•••

What Sin are you most looking forward to?

Leave a vote if you enjoyed and add PB to your library so you're notified of future updates.

Love,
Laila.