Chapter Forty Five - ANIMALISTIC

BEAST

"Pandora—," I stopped myself, swallowing the confession waiting in my throat. Fearing that she would read my feelings like the chapter from a book, I turned my face.

A moment of silence passed and I could almost feel her mind racing—racing down a rabbit hole of pain.

"Where—Where are you going?" I asked as she pulled free from me.

"I'm leaving before you can tell me to."

She said it so simply as though leaving was inevitable—as though it was the only thing she was destined to do: leave me.

If I hadn't broken her heart before, I'd broken it now.

PANDORA

I let the memory of his touch, his kisses, his voice wash off my skin. His scent left me like sand through a loose fist—golden and warm sand.

I'd forgotten where I was going and what I was doing until I found myself on the edge of Pride's room. It had felt as though I'd been pacing around an endless maze as I'd walked blindly past rows upon rows of halls and rooms.

The atmosphere was thick with tension. I'd quickly realised that a single Sin and a single Virtue were far more dangerous than a group of Unholy beings—especially when they were mates who were just waiting for a chance to rip each other's throats out.

The purple of her mate's eyes laboured against hers as they glared at each other.

"Get out," Pride snapped, her voice calm and controlled.

Humility laughed coldly, running his fingers through his icy hair. "Or what?"

Pride's eyes turned into a shade of purple that bordered black; before she could do anything, he had her pinned against the wall. Cracks spread through the walls like veins at the force of Humility's hold but I watched as his hand curved around her wrist, protecting her from the sharp splinters.

"Let go of me," she gritted out from behind her teeth.

Humility cocked his head to the side, amused. "Apologise and I will."

"Why would I apologise to you, you piece of—" Pride blinked. "Pandora?"

Embarrassment crawled up my cheeks. "Sorry. I'm so sorry, I was just—looking for you."

She tried to escape Humility's hold, shooting daggers at him.

He fell a step back. "Sorry boss," he muttered sarcastically.

"Why don't you apologise some more for me, Humility? It suits you," Pride said as she breezed towards me. She pressed a palm to my cheek, her gaze rapidly brightening into that beautiful shade of purple. "How are you feeling, Pandora?"

There were so many answers I could have given.

Horrible. Guilty. Exhausted.

I let the air of the Unholy Court fill my lungs. "I'm ready for the next training."

Suddenly, Humility turned, his eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"Why don't we try something...different?"

BEAST

Pandora's scent still hung in the air, intoxicating and sweet when Envy barged angrily into my room, her claws peeking out from beneath her knuckles.

"You bastard."

I crossed my arms over my chest, matching her glare with my own. "Watch it."

"You triggered her heat, Beast," Envy seethed, her lip curling back accusingly.

My fists tightened next to me and I took a warning step forward. "You think I don't know that?"

Envy was the only of my siblings who could match my terror; she didn't dare back down. "So is that what it's like having a mate, then?" My muscles tensed as she continued. "You try to keep them safe but end up hurting them yourself?"

"I'm not hurting her!" I bellowed. Every fibre of my being threatened to lose control at the thought. "I'm trying to keep her safe from the Seraphics."

I didn't want to hurt her.

"To hell with the Seraphics! This is probably their idea of a sick game, showing you who your mate is before they test her." She fell silent for a moment, her eyes narrowing. "You think Pandora won't be able to beat them if she knows you're her mate. Don't you?"

"She's the strongest being the Unholy Court has seen in a long time." The need in my chest grew with every passing second. "I'm not doubting her capability."

"Then what?" Envy's voice softened. "You think they'll use you against her?"

I tipped my head up to the ceiling, my eyes falling shut against the pressure building in my chest.

"What if she finds out from somewhere else, Beast? What if she finds out that you don't love her enough to tell her—"

My eyes snapped open. "I love her, Envy, but I can't tell her because," I took in a sharp breath, "when the Seraphics hurt me to get to her she'll give in. She'll give in and they'll take her."

"She might give in either way," Envy whispered. "But this way, you'll definitely lose her."

I chuckled coldly. "I was destined to lose her. The Seraphics removed a mate from my fate a very, very long time ago."

Envy let out a frustrated sigh. "But what if she defeats the Seraphics?"

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I've seen murder in your mate's eyes, Beast. Ever since she learnt about what—what the Seraphics did," Envy swallowed, "she's wanted to end to them."

I shrugged, the fog clearing from my mind. "If she defeats them, I'll tell her."

Envy shook her head. "Tell Pandora. Now."

"I can't."

It was Envy's turn to chuckle. "She'll come to you regardless. Let's see how long you can go without your mate."

I was half-tempted to walk out on her. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Are you trying to tell me you're not struggling with her heat? She'll come to you or you'll go to her." She lifted her hands up at my snarl. "I don't make the rules, brother."

•••

If I were to write short stories about each of the Sin and Virtue couples, which one would you guys want first? Any favourites?

Leave a vote if you enjoyed <3

(Like always, if you see any mistakes feel free to point them out! It makes things much easier for me.)

Love,
Laila.