Chapter Forty Two - BESTOW

I woke up gasping for air, as though I'd been submerged in water. I gasped like a drowning woman; I gasped as though I'd come inches away from death. It had certainly felt like it.

The horrors of the dream—nightmare—came rushing back to me like stormy waves. Bits and pieces of colour crashed behind my eyelids and with every blink I found myself shuffling through everything that had happened in the dream—everything that Sloth's Sin had put me through.

A dagger. Beast. Me.

Blood. So, so, so much blood. My blood.

The second I spotted the pink glow of his eyes, I had him up against the wall. My Vessel curled around his arms like dark vines as he struggled. He coughed out a chuckle as my Vessel wound its way up his neck.

"Easy there, Pandora," Sloth wheezed. He was quick to catch himself as I let my Vessel back in. My powers nestled behind my ribcage, ready to attack.

Before I could, he pulled me in, his arms almost too tight around me. "You did well, little one," he whispered against my hair.

I was so close to tears—so close to hugging him back. I wanted someone to hug, someone that could tell me that everything would be okay.

"Don't you dare ever pull a stunt like that again," I murmured.

Even as he walked away, I could have sworn I heard a proud chuckle.

Just as quickly, the nightmare came back to me.

I shot a glanced around myself. I was back in the familiar walls of my bedroom but the iciness was still there in my veins. It chilled me to the core as my legs gave way, my knees drawn up to my chest. I rocked back and forth, tears rolling freely down my cheeks.

They rolled as though they belonged there, as though someone like me was destined to pain.

He'd stabbed me. And I could still feel it; a throbbing ache in my stomach. But more than that, it was my heart that hurt. I'd told him I loved him. Even though it had been a dream, even though it wasn't actually Beast, I—I loved him.

I realised that I didn't want this. I wanted a normal life—I wanted to go back to being a teacher. I wanted to see my father, I wanted him to call me Dory and I wanted to see the goofy grins of my students.

A worried call splintered through my racing thoughts. "Pandora?" There was the sudden warmth of a body against mine, of a warm embrace. "Hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay."

"Is she okay?" came another voice. The ringing in my ears began to clear and I recognised the low, concerned tone as Gluttony. "Curse the Seraphics, what's happened? Was it Sloth? That dickhead—"

"Gluttony," Envy hissed, rushing in. "Shut up."

"No!" Gluttony's amber eyes flared. "How dare he—"

"Gluttony. Shush." Pride reprimanded, her arms still strong around me. I felt as though it was the only things holding me together, and soon Gluttony and Envy were hugging me too.

"We'll fuck him up together, yeah?" Gluttony whispered. "You can strangle the bitch with your Vessel and I'll pull his head off."

"Count me in," Pride said, the purple in her eyes softening. "I'll dig his grave."

"Say no more," Envy joined in. "I'll get a shovel."

I chuckled despite myself. "Deal." Wiping my hand over my face, I turned to the three Sins. "Who's next?"

The three sisters shared a glance.

"I am," Pride began slowly, "but I don't think you should—"