Chores, Chores Galore

Hey Lydia. I know it's been awhile since we've talked, but I thought I'd let you know some exciting news. I'm moving to the valley! I just thought that it would be better if I told you before showing up. Anyway, hope to hear from you soon!

I stared at my phone, unsure how to respond. I was leaning up against one of the doors at Miyagi-Do while Mr. LaRusso was talking with Robby in the car lot. I ran my fingers through my hair as I reread the text for the millionth time. I could my heart practically beating out of my chest. "Hey you coming?" Danial said looking over his shoulder at me. 

"What? Oh yeah." I shut my phone off and slipped it into my pocket. 

"What's got you freaked out?" Robby asked, noticing my bothered demeanor

"Nothing." I forced a smile at him.  

"Okay, you guys ready?" Danial announced, holding onto a tarp laying over top one of the cars. 

We both nodded from beside him. He ripped off the tarp, revealing an old yellow 1948 Ford Super De Luxe. "Woah." Robby gawked at the car with awe. I looked towards Mr. LaRusso who had a huge smile on his face, nodding at the car. "Mr. Miyagi gave you this?" Robby questioned.

"Yup best birthday gift ever. Haven't had a chance to come down here to take care of her like she deserves." He rubbed the smooth surface of the car. 

"Something tells me there's a can of wax in our futures." Robby pointed back and forth between us with his arm that wasn't secured in the sling.

"Don't worry. We got plenty to do before that." Mr. LaRusso looked at us smirking. 

***

He ended up having Robby and I repaint the house, using the same technique he taught us with the windows at the dealership. I took my time, moving my hands back and forth, coating the walls with a blueish green. I kept to myself, thinking about the message I had received less than forty minutes ago. 

When we finished the house, we helped him replace the old, dusty punching bag. It landed on the ground with a thud, causing dust to spray into my eyes and mouth. I stepped to the side, letting Robby and Danial hold the weight of the bag, and started rubbing my eyes and trying to cough the dust out. 

***

After that, we replaced the boards on the fence, Danial showing us a certain way to push the nails into the wood with one hard hit of the hammer. We did that around the entire yard, taking our time and doing it properly. After the fence was rebuilt, Mr. LaRusso brought out two buckets of finishing paint. "You guys remember the technique I had you practice on the flagpole right?" 

"Yeah, sure." Robby replied. Danial looked at me, I nodded my head and tried hard to focus and not get distracted.

"Okay, well use that technique when you paint this fence." I nodded again. We painted the entire fence, front and back. The time seemed to drag on, giving me more time to over-think and worry about the message on my phone. 

***

Moving on, he had us sand the floor. Robby and I worked quite a ways away from each other, and I think he was starting to notice that something was off. But I didn't care at the moment, I needed space and time to think to myself. 

Danial walked by Robby carrying a box of trinkets, telling him to make bigger circles while sanding. I quickly corrected myself, moving my hands in large circular movements. "And remember, breathe in and breathe out." He told Robby. I continued to sand the floor, using both hands and doing different sections once I finished the piece I was working on. 

***

Once we finished up the floors, Danial moved us out back into the car lot. "Alright, un-tarp all of these cars." He motioned at the cars in front of us. We all walked over to a car and pulled off the tarps, revealing different, old cars, that looked like something out of an eighties movie.  

I started waxing the cars, rotating each arm and switching which one I was using each time. I looked from the car I working on and looked towards the brown haired, green eyed boy standing a few cars away from me. He had taken off his arm brace was was using his arm to wax the cars. He was wearing a grey muscle shirt showing off his toned biceps, olive green shorts with black reebok mid-calf leggings, and black converse shoes. His hair was pushed over top of his head from when he ran his fingers threw it, so a few pieces hung around his face. Just looking at him made me start to relax a bit, until I started to feel a wave of guilt wash over me. I quickly looked away and got back to waxing the car. 

***

When we finished, he asked us to help him in the koi pond. I got in right away, but Robby was very reluctant to follow my footsteps. He eventually climbed in. From the ground Danial handed us these two mini trees, telling us to hold them above the water while he got in. When he did, he grabbed the plant from Robby's grasp, I quietly scoffed at the fact that I was clearly struggling with the tree and he didn't take the tree from me instead. I brushed it off.

"Okay, place it on the board." He told me. 

I did what he instructed and placed the tree on the wooden board. "No, no, no, no. Wait, slide yours back a little more." He said quickly. I moved my plant backwards, so that the board was starting to even out. "Little bit more. It's got to be perfectly balanced." I was staring at the plant with concentration, trying to balance the potted tree. 

Finally, we were both able to lift our hands off the plants without the board tipping one way. I turned around to see Robby standing there with a smile on his face and his hands resting on his head. "See that?" Danial asked as I climbed out of the cold water. 

***

After we had all dried off we walked back into the backyard to admire our fresh work. It looked amazing, the fence looked brand new, the pathways were clean, everything looked perfect. But it still couldn't take my mind off the text, sitting in my phone, unanswered. 

First Chapter guys!! I'm so happy with how this story is developing

First Chapter guys!! I'm so happy with how this story is developing. Even if this is the first chapter. I can't wait to write the rest of the season!! Comment and Vote!!

Thanks 

-Daisy