Second First Day

I woke up to a collage of blurry colors and slight beeping. I pushed myself up onto my forearms and sat up, bringing my arm up to rub my forehead. I then rubbed my eyes and looked around. I was laying in a white bed, the walls were white and the windows revealed a worried looking Nick standing there with my mom, wait my mom? 

Obviously something was really wrong if she had left work to come here. Nick turned and saw me sitting up and watching them and quickly dashed to the door and into the room. "Lydia." He exclaimed. 

"Hi." I respond, my voice barely more than a whisper as he wrapped his arms around me. 

"You're okay." He asked, I'm pretty sure it was directed towards him more than me. 

"I'm just peachy." I smiled, wincing a bit. 

"Thank god." He came back in and buried his head into my neck, causing an explosion on pain, I pushed it down. I slowly wrapped my arm around him and my other found his hair, playing with the baby hairs at the back. 

I glance up to see my mom standing from the doorway. "What happened?" I asked as Nick pulled away and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. 

"Well, we aren't sure, the doctors say you were in the middle of a panic attack when you crashed. We don't know everything, but you have a concussion, and one smallish fracture in your ribs. The doctor just said to ice when you can but otherwise you're free to do anything that isn't to taxing. They also said you might experience pain when breathing and dizziness, but I'm sure you already know that." Nick referred to last time. .  

I nodded and looked over towards my mom, Nick seemed to understand and quickly excused himself and went to the 'washroom'.  When the hospital room closed, my eyes met with my mom's. Then the most unexpected thing happened. 

She ran over to me and draped herself over me, sobs racking her body and making me shake alongside with me. "Y-you co-could've died. L-like him." She looked up at me, her eyes red and puffy. "You can't leave me, not like h-him, you can't" She sobbed, gripping me extremely tight.

"I'm not going anywhere." I tell her as a tear rolls down my own cheek. 

"I can't loose you too." She says, looking up again and wiping away my tear. 

"Y-you won't." I assured her, wrapping my arms around her and hugging her back. 

***

"There, see we made it to the school without crashing." Nick held up his hands after he parked the car as some type of surrender.

I took a deep breath, causing pain to spread throughout my chest and I clutched my rib, as if I could put them back together. "You okay?" Nick said, concern evident in his face. 

"I'm fine, let's just go." I tell him, grabbing my backpack off my lap and slinging it over my shoulder. I was wearing a blue jean skirt with a black tee shirt and black converse, lazy but still okay for school. My hair was in it's natural waves on my shoulders. 

As we walked to the entrance of the school with many other people, I leaned over to Nick. "You didn't tell anyone about what happened yesterday, did you?" I asked. 

"Just you're friend Sam." He replied. She hadn't even texted to see if I was okay, and I don't necessarily want the attention, but if she truly was my best friend, she should've checked in. 

"Thanks Nicky." I say, using his nickname from when we were little. 

"You're welcome Liddy." He replied, a smile on his face. 

I wondered the hallways with Nick in tow. showing him around the school, a speed tour. Eventually we made it to our lockers which happened to be right beside one another's and also also happened to be diagonally across the hallway from Sam's locker, where her and Robby were talking.