Chapter 13

A week. One, whole week.

In the beginning, it didn't seem so hard. You had come home after the fight, slammed your keys down on the table, and promptly went back to bed. You could use the extra sleep anyway, right?

The time after that had been hard. You hadn't had this much time off work in years, and the fact that it was a suspension didn't help matters.

At first, you tried desperately to distract yourself. You went to the psych eval. They said something about anxiety and depression swings, but you weren't really listening. All you heard was that you were cleared to go back to work.

After that, you spent one day cleaning your entire house top to bottom until it sparkled. You went grocery shopping and did laundry. You organized everything you could and even dumped out your go-bag only to repack it.

On the third day, you ran out of things to do. You didn't bother to get dressed anymore, instead just lounging in pajamas all day. You frequently called and talked to the team individually, asking about how work was going. You were relatively vague about the details of your suspension, but you guessed they got the point.

On the third and fourth day, you learned the team had gone to Maryland to investigate serial killings. You called everyone individually to figure out every little detail. You practically begged to get enough details from them, and then gave your opinion whether they asked for it or not. You needed to be helpful in this case in one way or another.

Other than that, you were forced to sit and think about your actions. About all that had transpired over the past few days.

Mostly, you thought about Hotch.

You first had to think about that morning you shared. How intimate it was, how you felt the white-hot pleasure coursing through your body. The words he said had sent chills through you and made you feel something so pleasureful yet so mysterious.

But there was more. You remembered how it felt to have someone to take care of. How amazing it was to feel wanted and to wake up in his arms. How both of your nightmares had subsided for that night only. What could that mean?

You also recalled the words spoken on the jet. Teacher's pet. Was it possible he did have a soft spot for you? It was true, in a way. You were the only one who could make him so angry yet make him laugh as much as you did (which granted, wasn't a lot, but anything from Hotch was something). He had mentored you, and you did admire him for that. But you also knew that what you felt towards him was more than admiration.

You knew very well the protocol of interoffice romances, specifically how relationships between superiors and subordinates were viewed. How it looked, that is, and what it looked like was a worker sleeping with their boss. Maybe for a promotion or special treatment, but in any case, it was a distraction from the job.

But you didn't want anything from him, that was clear. You were at least somewhat sure of what you felt about him. Lust, desire, and anger all thrown together. But the question was, was it more than that?

The real question was how he felt about you. You wanted him to like you, to feel the same way you did about him. But you could never quite be sure what he was thinking.

He was so dominating. He could exert control over anyone and any situation, which was a skill you admittedly lacked. He could get such a reaction out of you with the simplest actions. All he had to do was put a hand on your leg. Your waist, your back, your hand. Such innocent touches could capture your attention so easily. And his words. He could send shivers down your body effortlessly. No other man had ever made you feel like that.