Chapter 41

TW: slight gore description in this first part

"Guys?"

Your voice rings out into the bullpen. The dim lighting makes it hard to see, but you stumble through the darkened pathway through the empty rows of desks. You call out for your teammates again, but you get no response. 

You feel bile rising in your stomach as you descend the stairs to enter the round table room and upon trying to yell their names again, you find that your voice can only come out as a hoarse whisper. Exhaling slowly through your nose to calm yourself, your fingers trace over the cold metal of the gun on your hip.

You ease the door open with the tip of your boot and pull out your weapon, ready to take aim at any potential threat. Your eyes take a moment to adjust to the light that flashes on from above you.

The team is laying on the floor. All of them, blood spilling from some unknown wounds as they lay lifeless in various positions. Dead, limp.

You try to cry out, but your voice is gone, so all you can do is feel the hot tears that fall from your cheeks and the blood pounding in your veins as you fall to their sides. Spencer, Emily, Penny, all of them laying in a heap of pale, clammy skin. You pull them apart, trying to see any way to resuscitate them despite somehow knowing they're gone. JJ, Derek, Rossi. Your chest wracks with sobs that you somehow can't let out.

Wait, where's Aaron? 

Before you can wonder for too long, you hear movement around the dark shadows that cover the corners. Footsteps, laughter, some unknown sound that seems to be everywhere and yet nowhere all at once.

You stagger to your feet and hold your gun in shaking hands, finger pressing on the trigger. You try to shoot into the darkness, trying to defend yourself and catch whoever did this sick act. You find your gun is jammed. It refuses to let out a bullet, making you defenseless. 

You finally find yourself able to let out a scream as the seventh body drops to the floor from a dark shadow in the corner.

Aaron. 

You fall to your knees, dropping your useless gun to the side. From the new angle, you can just barely make out a pair of black... heels?

Your back straightens suddenly and you find your hand immediately drawn to your hip. Your heart begins to race upon not finding your gun, but you begin to recall taking it off before you fell asleep. On the jet. 

You shake your head a little and look around, observing the team sitting in various placements on the jet, all staring at you. 

"Sorry" you apologize quickly, shaking the tiredness from your head and wiping the remnants of sleep from your eyes. You scan the jet and breath out a sigh of relief when you spy your weapon across the jet. You knew you could protect yourself with or without it, but the gun was just another piece of reassurance proving that you could take care of yourself if need be.

"You okay?" Spencer asked from the couch across the jet. His voice was still croaky, evidence that he was asleep not long ago. 

"Yeah, yes, I'm fine" you lie, nodding your head slightly while sitting up. "Sorry, did I disturb you guys?"

"No, you just worried us a bit," JJ said softly, glancing at you with a worried look. "You were tossing and turning a bit, then you shot straight up."

"The case bothering you, kid?" Rossi asked. You realized the whole team was up now, looking at you with various degrees of concern. The whole team being up was rare after a long case like that.