Chapter 34

"Cheryll is packing a bag" is all Derek says when he reenters the room. He finds you, Emily and Spencer in different corners, unwilling to make eye contact.

"C'mon guys," he sighs as he rubs his temples "we can't just avoid each other."

"I'm not avoiding anything," Emily says quickly "are you avoiding anything?" She turns to look at you, the first time she's made eye contact since the call.

"Nope. No avoidance here" you shake your head. "Besides, the guy was just another narcissistic creep. He didn't say anything substantial. Just some sub-par profiling, really."

"I know it was sub-par, but it doesn't mean it's not hurtful" he explains "I'm not saying it's true, just making sure you're both alright, that's all."

"I'm fine, Morgan, really," Emily says. "What about you? I didn't see you too upset about the whole 'pumped up side of beef' thing?"

"Alright, I'll admit it. It was pretty funny" he chuckles "but what about Ms. Y/l/n over here? Never disobeying Hotch, huh?"

"Oh, you know me" you scoff, playing along "never straying from command. Perfect follower." This earns a chuckle from the both of them that's only broken up by a light rapping on the door.

"Agent Morgan?" One of Davenport's security agents beckons "Ms. Davenport is ready for you in the car."

"Alright, Y/n, you come with me" he motions with his fingers "Prentiss, you stay here with Reid and Cole and start interviewing Davenport and his security leader. Figure out any way a bug could've slipped through the cracks."

"Will do" Prentiss nods.

"And hey, Emily?" You add "talk to Spencer, too, will you?" When the three of you turn and look, you see Spencer on the floor next to Davenport's bookshelf, pouring over some sort of files he must have found laying around.

"Yeah, I'll make sure he's alright" she nods "but it seems he's already pretty distracted. But either way, you too should go."

"Right" Morgan agrees "come one y/l/n, we've got a safe house to visit."
____________

The ride to the safe house was quiet and a bit awkward. Davenport had insisted that some of his guards came with you, due to them knowing Cheryll better than you and Morgan. Because of that decision, you were sandwiched between him, the girl, and 3 other security guards whose names you didn't even know.

When you arrived at the safehouse, you did the necessary checks and lockdowns and moved Cheryll into her room. Beyond that, all there was left to do was wait. Wait for Emily and Reid to come up with a breakthrough or for Hotch to get a confession.

Your only assignment was to patrol the downstairs area with a hand firmly on your gun. Morgan had opted to take the upstairs with Cheryll and the security guards were distributed around the house and surrounding property.

The absent-minded walking gave you plenty of time to think over the case. At least, it started with the case.

You tried to work through the details again and again, but it still didn't make any sense how they could've managed to sneak a bug in. Everything had been extensively checked, every person and crevasse of the home. Ultimately, every theory you had turned out insufficient.

As you continued your laps, your mind wandered back to the call. Specifically about Katie and Hotch.

It made sense to you now, at least a bit more than it had before. Why she had been so hypercritical of his leadership abilities from the very beginning. She wanted his job?