Chapter 36

"So, did you two work it out?"

Rossi is the first to greet you when you arrive at the airstrip. It was still pitch black outside, although you could tell the sun was soon going to rise over the horizon.

"Yeah, we're all good," you responded. You did your best to keep your face straight in order not to give anything away. You weren't sure if it was working based on the amused look playing on his face.

"I knew it" he shook his head at you both.

"Is Derek back yet?" Aaron asks, clearly ignoring the implication. You're sure if it weren't so dark, you'd clearly be able to see his bright red face.

"Reid's helping him settle on the plane as we speak," he responds. "Just waiting on Emily and JJ to get back, then we can take off."

"And Cole?" You ask quietly, and you can feel both men's eyes on you. "Is she flying back with us?"

"Most likely," Aaron responds, and there's a tinge of exasperation to his tone.

"What, not a fan of her?" Rossi asks, "she's a good profiler, Aaron; she helped on the case well enough."

"Yes, I understand that," he replies, "but I don't like people arguing with me and questioning my every decision, especially around the team."

"Yeah, that's my job," you say light-heartedly, trying to defuse some of the tension. They both chuckle, and even in the dark, you know Aaron's rolling his eyes at you. You're still worried about Katie, but you were in a good mood given recent events, and you wanted to hold onto that for as long as possible.

"Well, we wouldn't want to put you out of work, would we?" He says fondly.

"She does it better, anyway," Rossi quips "now, both of you better get on the plane before the team starts questioning anything. Both of your bags are on board already."

Aaron mumbles a quick thanks to him before you both board the jet. Your eyes quickly land on Derek, who had a white cotton bandage taped across his head wound.

"Hey, looks like someone's concussion free" you smile lightly at him, sitting in the seat across from him.

"That's what they say, but I can still see three y/n's right now, so try not to hit me with a bat or anything, yeah?" He chuckles.

"3 y/n's? What a nightmare," you hear from behind you.

"Nice to see you too, Em" you smile as Emily and JJ come up from behind you, smiles adorning both of their faces "you two have fun?"

"Oh, a blast" JJ rolls her eyes, "the girl's safe, and the family's reunited if that's what you're asking."

"That's all we can hope for," Cole quips from the corner, speaking up finally.

"Well, that, and that the bastards that took her don't get off too easy," Rossi quips, joining the rest of the team and taking a seat beside Aaron.

"I doubt he will. The confession he signed should put him away for at least eight years, no parole," Aaron said.

"Well, look at you, Mr. Prosecutor," Rossi joked "let's just thank God you're on our side." The team laughed, but you noticed Cole roll her eyes.

"How's your neck, Hotch?" Reid asked, a look of worry at the red line across his throat.

"It's fine, thank you," he said nonchalantly "how's the head, Morgan?"

"Better than ever, man," was his reply, "but I think some soft music and shut-eye will do me good."