17: Family Dinner

Chase drove down the streets until heading out of Chicago. Chase taking turns and driving straight for what seemed like a long time. “Where do your parents live?” Maddie asked, unlocking her phone and playing a game.

“Winnetka, their house is one of most expensive house in Illinois right now. It’s worth over $40 million.” Maddie looked up from her phone and blinked a few times before looking at Chase

“40 million…?” She repeated, staring at him.

“Yes ma’am. But they live now in England and Alexander lives there with his wife.

Maddie nodded and looked back ahead before thinking back to when Alexander went to her class. “Can I ask you something?” She asked as she went back to playing her game.

“Anything.” Chase answered.

“Is it true that Olivia really did only want you for the money?” She asked and Chase stayed quiet.

“Do you think I’m lying?” Chase asked.

“Celestina and Alexander said-“

“But that’s not what I’m asking.” Chase interrupted her.

“It’s not that I don’t believe you, I knew my fair share of people who used other people for money. But I just want to know that it did happen.”

Chase laughed and let his right hand let go of the steering wheel, grabbing Maddie’s left hand and lacing their fingers together. “I swear on my grandmother that I left her because of her greedy self.” Maddie yanked her hand back and went back to playing her game. Chase smiled and set his hand by the gear shift.

After a while more of driving, Chase turned out of the street and into a large black gate. Maddie looked up at how high it was as Chase pulled his window down. “Chase Simmons.” He spoke and a couple beeps were heard before the gate was being slowly opened.

“Alright, here we go.” He sighed and began driving up. Maddie’s eyes widened at the house ahead and her jaw dropped.

The driveway lead up to a huge fountain, making sure the driveway circled around it. The house itself had many windows and had small trees nicely placed by every window on the first floor. The second floor windows had balconies with black rails. The front yard had the bushes neatly trimmed and the grass was a green as could be.

Chase pulled up to the house, parking his car right behind a black Convertible and turned the ignition off. He got off, fixing his suit and pocketing his car keys while closing the car door. He walked over to Maddie’s door, seeing her look at the house more.

“Quite a sight, huh?” He smiled, opening her door and helping her out.

“I never imagined myself in a house like this. I don’t think I should be here Chase.” Maddie backed up but Chase stopped her.

“Listen, it’s just dinner. I’m not asking you to move in with me.” He assured her and she looked at him. He watched her for a couple seconds, examining her before speaking. “Are you nervous?” He whispered and Maddie let out a shaky breath in reply. Chase smiled and kissed her cheek. “You’ll do great.” He pulled away, pulling Maddie with him as he closed the car door. He locked it, holding her hand and pulling her to the front door.

He knocked on the door, waiting patiently before an older man opened it and bowed slightly. “Mister Simmons, the rest of your family is in the family room, please come in.” He spoke as Chase allowed Maddie to step in first followed by him. “Would you like me to take you to them?” The older man asked.

“Thank you Christian, but I would like to look around first.”

“As you wish.” The man slightly bowed again, closing the door and heading back. Maddie’s eyes looked around the inside, her breathing shortening as she took everything in.