16: Breaking the Ice

So since Chase got one of these, I thought Maddie deserved one too. 

______

Maddie’s POV

I walked in to my apartment, looking around for my brother and setting my bag down in front of the hall closet. I walked to the kitchen, seeing a pot on the stove and I took off the lid, looking in to see the hot chicken soup done. I put the lid back on and walked to my room, opening the door and was about to take my jacket off when my phone rang. I groaned, rolling my eyes and I grabbed it, answering.

“Hello?” I asked, annoyance clear in my voice.

“You busy? I need to talk to you.” He sounded desperate and I rubbed my forehead.

“No, where are you?” I asked.

“Outside your place.” He mumbled and I sighed, hanging up and walking back out. I locked the door behind me, pocketing my keys as I walked down the two flights of stairs. This had better be good and not some stupid excuse to see me.

Chase wasn’t a bad guy, I just wasn’t ready to move on. I would be lying if I said I didn’t find Chase attractive, because he was pretty good looking. But I wasn’t over Trevor’s death. I needed time for myself and to think these things through, some time for me to weigh all my options.

I walked out of the building, seeing his silver Mercedes parked and him staring at his steering wheel. He looked pressured and very deep in thought. My breath came out in white puffs of smoke because of the cold as I watched him. He never once turned to me, and to be honest, I kind of wanted to see that stupid smirk.

I walked to the car, opening the door and getting in, looking at him as he turned to me and smiled. Something was off, I just know it.

“So I got home earlier and my dad called and I thought it was you so I answered saying ‘hello beautiful’ and my dad said he wasn’t beautiful and we talked and he wants you over for dinner tomorrow night.” I stared at Chase for a good while, processing what said, since he had spoken so fast.

“I have to attend your family dinner?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“As my girlfriend.” He nodded.

“You are such a fucking idiot.” I shook my head, mumbling.

“It was an accident!” He defended himself and I glared at him.

“Doesn’t cover the fact that you’re an idiot!” I raised my voice and he fully turned to me.

“And what do you want me to do? Tell them that you’re just a friend or that I was just playing around and it was a joke?” He exclaimed.

“That’s exactly what you should do!” I argued back and he sighed heavily, shaking his head.

“Do you not understand that I’m not the type of man to be joking around with my family? I’m very serious with them and try to get everything short and easy. I don’t want to go to this either but I’m pretty sure Alexander told my father about you.”

I leaned my head on the seat, annoyed and pissed. This man was one of the world’s biggest idiot and I cannot believe I was interested in him.

Holy shit, wait. I wasn’t interested in him. Was I?

“Maddie?” I turned to him and he was waiting for me to talk.

“What do I have to wear?” I asked and he sighed, relieved.

“Something nice, simple-“

“Do I have to put on a dress?” I interrupted him and he hesitated before nodding.

“What the fuck.” I mumbled and got out of his car.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow at five!” He called from the window and I flipped him the bird, walking in my building.

This man owed me big time.

3rd person POV

Maddie walked out of her room and to the bathroom, looking in the mirror and adding the eyeliner and mascara before fixing her hair. She pulled it back, securing it with a small, silver butterfly clip with tiny diamonds.

“Do you like it?” Amanda asked her daughter. Maddie smiled and nodded, leaning off the doorway of her parent’s bedroom and walking to her mother.

“Did dad buy it for you?” Maddie asked, admiring it.

 “Oh no, it’s far too expensive. Your dad has a patient who is quiet the woman. I met her a few months back and complimented on it. She gave it to me and ever since, we have been very good friends. She recently moved so we haven’t seen her in a long time.”

Maddie smiled and lightly touched the clip, looking at her mom who smiled and stood up. “I want you to put it on your wedding day. I know you’re bound to marry Trevor.”

“Mom, we’ve only dated for a few months.” Maddie laughed and her mom grinned.

“I can see it in the future! You both will give me beautiful grandbabies!”

Maddie smiled at the memory and made sure the clip was secured in place. She turned to the door of the bathroom where Josh passed with a t-shirt and jeans. He briefly looked at her, walking to the kitchen before turning back and staring at her.

“Wow.” He smiled and Maddie rolled her eyes, walking out and back to her room for her thin necklace.

Both their heads looked to the front door as it knocked and Maddie sighed and Josh walked over to get it. Maddie looked at herself in the mirror and made sure everything was fine.

Her light grey dress reached just above her knees and she was never one for heels but she thought her black ones would fit the occasion. She looked over the tattoos on her arms, wrinkling her nose before noticing Chase standing behind her with his mouth open.

His Armani suit was pulled on nicely, the shiny silver cuffs on his sleeves were noticeable with the light as well as the gold watch on his left wrist. Maddie looked at his tie, matching her dress exactly and she held back the smile on how they coincidentally matched.

“You look gorgeous.” He smiled and Maddie rolled her eyes, waving it off before turning to her closet and grabbing a black cardigan. She turned just as Chase wrapped an arm around her waist, his other hand on her cheek as he pulled her face up to his.

Both their eyes closed on the contact, Maddie’s hands on his upper arms and trying to pull him closer. He chuckled pulling back and Maddie looked down, slightly smiling before walking past him and pulling on her cardigan.

“Shall we?” She asked, walking out and to the dining room. Chase followed, walking to the living room and seeing Josh watching TV.

“I'll be bringing her back later, safe and sound.” He spoke; Maddie walking by and lightly kicking Josh’s leg as she picked up her phone.

“Her curfew is at three.” Josh laughed and Maddie smiled as she past him again and both she and Chase said their goodbyes.

“Ready?” Chase asked, opening the passenger door.

“Even if I wasn’t, this is still happening.” She looked up at him as she climbed in and Chase nodded, closing her door and smiling as he walked to his side.

“I need a drink.” He sighed to himself, getting in his car.

______

I feel like it's been too long, but I had homework and I had to hang out with the squad. But as an apology, I have the next chapter in the works and because of this horrible snow storm in Chicago, I will be updating tomorrow for two reasons:

1) As an apology, like I stated, and
2) I have a concert on Friday [Feb. 6] and I won't be able to update that weekend.