18: First Dates

Maddie heard barking, rubbing her head and sitting up. She looked over at the clock and stared at the red digits. She lifted her hand, pushing the clock off the bedside table and laying her head back on her pillow. She closed her eyes, slightly smiling about going back to sleep when a slight snore jolted her and her eyes snapped open. She looked around the room, knowing this wasn’t her room before seeing that she was in Chase’s room.

Maddie tossed the blanket off her and stood up from bed, looking over at Chase who had the blanket across his bare back. He was facing the other way, fast asleep and Maddie stared at his back. It was red and looked like there were scratch marks and she quickly looked away, suddenly feeling very afraid of what had possibly happened the night before.

She looked down at her body, letting out a sigh of relief. She was wearing one of his black shirts with sweat pants and socks.

“Oh thank god.” She let out a sigh and jumped when Chase spoke.

“Are you really happy that we didn’t do anything?” He asked. Maddie turned to him and he had his eyebrow raised.

“Well, yeah. I mean, no offense, but I don’t think that would be okay.” She looked away and Chase sat up. The blanket fell to his lap to show his basketball shorts and Maddie continued looking at the floor, turning to walk out of his room when she stopped.

“Where are the scratch marks from?” She asked, turning to him.

Chase looked over his shoulder as best as he could and thought before he smiled. “You poured salt down my back while fixing your drink and I guess I scratched it.” Maddie nodded and looked away, walking out of the room and heading downstairs.

She grabbed her phone, seeing a text from her brother and a couple missed calls.

“I want to assume that you’re at Chase’s tonight? Use protection.” Maddie rolled her eyes and responded.

“Yeah I slept over and we did nothing, anyway, see you in a while.”

“Texting your brother?” Chase asked, walking asked her to the kitchen. “Morning Parker.” He smiled at the pug.

“Yeah, hey Park.” Maddie petted the pug as she followed Chase and he pressed a couple buttons on his coffee machine before turning to her.

“Hope he isn’t mad that I kept you here for the night.” Maddie shook her head and sat on the bar stool, resting her arms on it and Chase watched her.

Her blue eyes concentrated on her fingers, cracking them and playing around with the thin bracelet on her left wrist. His eyes trailed the colorful tattoos on both her arms, ending right at the edge of his shirt sleeve, which reached her right above the elbow. Her black hair was loose, showing her straightened hair which was a bit wavy.

“Will you go on a date with me?” Chase spoke up and Maddie looked up at him before back down to her hands.

“Why?” She asked, lacing her fingers together and sighed.

“Because I want to go on a date with you.” Chase answered. The coffee machine beeped and Chase pulled out two mugs and poured coffee into each of them, setting them in front of Maddie and he walked to the counter, grabbing the sugar and the cream.

“Depends, where are we going?” She asked. Chase smiled as he set the things down and pulled two spoons from the drawer.

“Wherever you want to go.” He shrugged and Maddie looked at her black coffee, adding a spoon of sugar and mixing it. She took a sip, the hot liquid running down her throat. “Isn’t that hot, and bitter?” Chase asked.