1: No Internet and Wrong Phone

The August air was humid and the sun glared down at the city, people sweating and mumbling complains about it. The glass of the building reflected the sun's rays, shining it into people faces and the heat was so strong, it cut the power on some buildings, the generators only keeping the lights on. Unfortunately, that was the case for a local university. Most of the students took shelter in libraries and their jobs to get cold air while working on their homework while others suffered through classes.

Maddie entered the almost empty coffee shop and took a seat by the wall, leaving her bag on the chair and heading to the counter to order herself an iced tea. Within the hour, the place was buzzing with people, ordering cold drinks and using the wifi and taking advantage of the cold air the shop had to offer. Maddie's blue eyes scanned her computer screen, reading and then rereading her rough draft to make sure everything moved smoothly. She pressed the home button on her phone with her pinkie, reading the text from her brother on how he was getting food, going back to her homework and ignoring the man that sat next to her, phone balanced on his shoulder and ear.

"I told you that the reports needed to be in this morning three times yesterday and you still forget? I expect you out of the building by noon,"

Maddie ignored his talking, after all, the entire place was talking and her only focus was her need to finish the paper before having to go to her dorm in the heat.

Chase, on the other hand, left his building to go to the airport, needing to meet his father in New York to finish the last of their contract. He set his phone down when his name was called, getting his blended smoothie before sitting back on his chair. He looked over at Maddie's laptop screen, reading the first sentence before she saved the document and sent it off in an email.

Maddie made sure the email was sent with her homework, sending it to her teacher for reviewing before packing her things, shoving her laptop in her dark, grey bag. She stood up, hanging her back bag on her shoulders and pushing her chair in, her iced tea in one hand and her phone in the other, leaving the coffee shop.

Chase stayed put in his seat until his watch chimed, not even noticing that the phone he grabbed didn't chime with it. He stood up, answering to his driver that he would be on his way out, getting his smoothie and heading back out to the hot world. He climbed in the car, sighing in relief as the cold air surrounded him and he closed his eyes, relaxing. He took out his phone from his blazer pocket, seeing the background picture of a girl and a guy, the two grinning widely at the camera and hugging, Chase furrowing his eyebrows.

Maddie walked into the less hot but still pretty hot building of her dorm, heading straight to her dorm room and unlocking it, going to the bathroom as she dumped her bag on her bed. She ignored her brother sitting on her couch, eating food out of the white carton and locked herself in the bathroom. She sat on the edge of the sink, taking her phone out to check her email when she saw the background of a pug. He looked as if he was smiling and Maddie tilted her head in confusion, finally understanding that she had the wrong phone.

"Josh...?" Maddie hopped off the sink, walking out of the bathroom and looking at her brother who looked as if he was ready to shrink and get in the container to eat his food. He looked up at her and the phone she showed him, his cheeks puffed with food as he chewed before swallowing. "I need to borrow your phone."

Chase looked at the phone, not knowing what to do as he looked at his watch, knowing that he wouldn't be able to make a call on it since his phone was too far. "Ben, lend me your phone for a couple minutes," Chase outstretched his hand, not even letting his driver decline the offer as he waited for it before the phone began ringing, the song filling the silent car. Chase answered, ignoring his driver's silent action of offering the phone. "Hello?"

"You have my phone," Maddie bluntly spoke, Chase, rubbing his temple.

"And you have mine?" He asked, Maddie humming and nodding.

"Yeah, a pug is your background, right?"

"Yeah, that's mine..." Chase mumbled, looking out his window to see that he was close to the airport. "I have important documents on my phone and since it's locked, all I ask is that you keep it safe until I get back from my trip."

"Well I need my phone now, I have files and notes that aren't synced to my laptop and I need them this weekend." Maddie tapped her foot, listening to Chase point out terminals and his driver pulling aside for Chase to get off.

"I arrive in New York in a few hours so once I get settled, I'll call and sync anything you want, I'm already at the airport and I can't miss my flight. I just need your password to unlock your phone to call you."

Maddie pulled the phone away from her ear, obviously annoyed with the fact that her phone was gone but now she wasn't getting anything she needed. "Fine, call me then, write down the numbers." After hearing Chase confirm her password, Maddie hung up and groaned, annoyed at this outcome. A thin layer of sweat that covered her body irritated her more, making her get up for spare clothes and a towel.

"So, no phone?" Josh asked, tossing his empty carton and looking at his little sister. Maddie shook her head, tossing him a peace sign before leaving her room to shower.

A couple hours later, Josh had fallen asleep on Maddie's couch, Maddie sitting up on her bed when the phone vibrated and she answered, opening her laptop. "Hello?"

"What files do you need me to sync?"

Chase looked out the window of his hotel, looking at the New York skyline and closed the curtain, tired of looking at the dark of the night. He put the phone on speaker following along to what Maddie was saying.

"Inside the app, there are four types of folders, I need all the notebooks in the folders synced."

Maddie kept her eyes on her laptop, seeing her files begin to appear slowly but surely, smiling a bit. "So, what's your name?" Chase asked, syncing another notebook. It was an innocent question that came from curiosity, he just wanted to know the name of who had his phone, simple.

"Madeline," Maddie replied tonelessly, going through one of the notebooks she needed more than the others, reading her colored notes.

"I'm Chase and I think that should be all of them." Chase looked over all the notebooks, making sure he didn't miss one.

"Thanks, let me know when you come back and we'll switch phones again," Maddie replied, hanging up and setting the phone on her bedside table.

Chase watched the green bar at the top of the screen disappear, locking the phone and putting it aside before getting curious. He knew it wasn't his business, but Chase was always a curious man and sometimes, like now, it got the better of him. He went into the photos, seeing mostly pictures and videos of concerts, and one or two memes, but nothing else. He found it weird to not find a selfie or any other normal picture before finding one of Maddie next to a girl, the two between two guys. Chase looked at the picture and at their bright smiles, exiting the app and setting the phone aside, not giving it much thought before going to sleep.

It's been a whole minute since I've read this myself and wow did it need editing. And small mistakes probably flew over my head but I hope you all enjoyed this rewrite and I should have the book finished by the end of the year.Thank you to everyone who's reading and voted and commented. I know I thank you guys a lot but it means a lot to know y'all enjoy it.