5: The Lunch Date

Chase rubbed his temples as he glared at his computer at work. He hastily began typing the files he needed for the meeting and he grumbled as he heard a knock on the door.

"What?" He snapped, as the door opened and his secretary walked in.

"I'm sorry Mr. Simmons, but it's lunch time and I was wondering if you would like anything from downstairs or from another place?" Chase sighed but continued typing. He finally looked up at her and nodded.

"A number four from the café down the street." He answered and she nodded, about to leave when Ryland past her inside and closed the door as she left.

"Someone is having a rough day." He sat on the black leather seat and took the files to analyze them. Chase didn't answer, but continued to type on the computer and scoff at what he was mad about. "Are you still mad because of the girl who ditched you again?"

Chase slammed his hand on the table and glared at Ryland. "She told me she was going to the restroom, and a few minutes later, the waiter comes by with only my food and tells me that she told him to inform me that she wants nothing to do with me. Can you believe she did all that?" Chase said and leaned back on his chair, running his hand through his hair.

"Relax, okay?" Ryland told Chase, wagging his pointer finger at him and looking at him like he grew three heads. Chase groaned and rubbed his face.

"I don't know what her problem is. I mean, why would she even do that?" Chase asked and Ryland shrugged. Ryland was about to open his mouth when a knock interrupted him and they both turned to the door. "Come in." Chase spoke up and the door opened, Esmeralda poking her head in.

"Just the lady I wanted to see! Come here." Ryland beckoned her to walk closer. Esmeralda closed the door behind her and seated herself on the chair next to Ryland. "Chase, you gotta get yourself a nice looking lady." Ryland turned to Chase, who just stared at him. "Look at me and my wife. She and I are going to have lunch right now, did I ask her to have lunch with me? No, because she loves me enough to go even if I don't ask." Esmeralda looked over at Ryland and was about to speak when her phone rang.

"Hello?" She answered and grinned. "I'll be right down!" She immediately got up and turned to Ryland. "Gotta go, my lunch date is here." She kissed his cheek and turned to Chase. "Did he tell you the good news?" Chase raised an eyebrow at her and shook his head. "We're going to be parents." Chase smiled and got up.

"Congratulations." He hugged Esmeralda and Ryland got up, Chase giving him one too.

"Lunch date?" Ryland asked, turning to Esmeralda.

"Relax, she's a nice girl." Esmeralda waved it off and walked out of the room, Chase smirking at Ryland.

"Oh yeah, your wife really loves you enough." Ryland scoffed and sat back down, pouting.

***

Maddie sat in the small Subway shop, tapping her fingers lightly as she looked up at the TV that played a random news channel. Her black hair was pulled back by a hair clip and her black leather jacket was zipped up, the only thing poking out was her grey hoodie. She had on her black skinny jeans with grey Vans, ignoring the urge to order her food first.

The door opened, the little chime ringing and Maddie glanced at the door before standing up and stretching her legs. Esmeralda smiled at her and walked over, joining her in line to get their food.

"So how is everything going?" Maddie asked as she stood next to Esmeralda. She had on a thin-looking grey jacket with blue skinny jeans and black colored heels. Her brown hair loose and full of curls and a thin braid running behind her head.

"It's okay, work is pretty slow, but, you know, it'll be over in a few."

"Where do you work?" Maddie asked and Esmeralda was about to answer when her phone rang. Maddie stepped up to order as Esmeralda talked on the phone.

"A foot long on Italian with ham, cheese, and bacon; toasted." The girl began making the sandwich and Maddie glanced at Esmeralda who was looking out the window.

"No, the Subway literally two buildings away. Yes across the street. Okay; bye." She hung up and ordered her Veggie Sub.

"Is someone else joining us?" Maddie asked.

"No, my husband wanted to know where I went to eat. Would you like to stop by at my job? I would like to show you where I work." Esmeralda smiled and Maddie nodded the two eating their food.

They made small talk, Maddie talking about school and her future career as they made it to the building. They were about to walk in when Maddie's phone rang and she stepped aside, answering.

"What's up?" She spoke, Esmeralda standing next to her. "I'll be right over, bye." Maddie hung up and looked up at Esmeralda, since she was only a few inches taller because of her heels. "My brother asked for me, I have to get going, but I'll see you soon." Esmeralda nodded and they both said their goodbyes and Esmeralda hugged Maddie.

"I'm having a small get together at my house in celebration of my husband and me getting a new home. I'll text you my address and you can come right over on Saturday, alright?" Esmeralda pulled back from the hug, Maddie nodding and took a step away, not very comfortable from the unexpected hug.

Esmeralda watched as she cleared her throat and she furrowed her eyes in confusion. "Everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, fine." Maddie assured and walked past her, heading to her dorm where her brother was.

Esmeralda watched as Maddie left, having doubts about her being fine but decided to ask her about it later. She made her way up to her floor, seating herself behind the main desk and texted Maddie her address. Ryland walked to her and waited until Esmeralda finished texting before talking.

"You're friend?" He asked. Esmeralda nodded and smiled.

"Her name is Maddie, a nice girl she is. She's coming over for the small party on Saturday." Ryland nodded and smiled.

"Maybe I can fix Chase up with her." Esmeralda rolled her eyes, smiling at him and he leaned over the desk, placing a soft kiss on her cheek before going back to work.

______

Thanks for reading guys! It really makes me happy having people read and comment :) Love you guys <3