14: School Daze

Maddie rubbed her eyes, turning around and sighing before relaxing again. She was just about to fall asleep when her phone rang and she groaned, lifting her hand and letting it fall on her phone, silencing it. She turned to lay faced up and covered her eyes with her hands. She lifted her arm, resting on the pillow right over her head and looking at her ceiling.

Her phone rang again and she rolled her eyes, sitting up and grabbing her phone, turning the alarm off. She swung her legs to sit on the edge of the bed and stood up, stretching before standing and walking out of her bedroom. She walked straight to the bathroom, brushing her teeth and doing her business before walking to her room. She pulled off her shorts and shirt, yawning as she clipped on her bra and pulled on a clean shirt. Maddie walked to her closet and put on her jeans and slipped into her boots. She walked back out, walking to the hall closet and pulled on her crewneck, her leather jacket over it.

"Heading to school?" Josh walking out of his room, yawning.

"Yes sir." Maddie answered, putting on her gloves and beanie.

"What time are you coming back?" He asked, walking to the bathroom.

"Depends." She opened the front door.

"On?"

"When I want to come home." She walked out, grabbing her bag from the floor and closing the door behind her.

***

Chase heard his alarm, right away sitting up and rubbing his eyes. He turned off his alarm clock, standing up and heading to his bathroom. He washed his face, drying it with his towel and looking up at his mirror. He rubbed his growing beard, deciding against shaving and heading back to his room. He opened his tub of gel, pouring a fair amount on his hands before rubbing them together and pushing his hair back.

He walked back in his room, going to his closet and opened it, hearing a bark downstairs and Parker' scratching along the floor as he walked around. Chase pulled on his white buttoned shirt, lifting the collar and pulled his pajama pants on, reaching for a pair of slacks and tucked his shirt in. He fixed his black tie, pulling his usual black suit and walked out. He walked to his desk, picking up his white gold Armani watch, securing it on and looking over himself in the mirror. He nodded in approval before walking downstairs and greeting Parker.

"Morning." He smiled and Parker followed him to the kitchen. Chase poured his food in his bowl and refilled his water bowl. He rubbed Parker's head, standing up and walking to the living room for his shoes.

'Maybe I can pick up Maddie and drive her to school. It can help her since she won't have to take the bus.'

Chase thought, grabbing his house and car keys. He opened the front door, seeing the small, white flakes fall and he nodded once.

'I'm picking her up.'

He walked to his car, getting in and shivering from the cold.

"The cons of living in Chicago." He mumbled out and started the car. He waited for a bit, the car warming up. He finally felt the hot air and put the gear shift into reverse and backed out, heading to Maddie's house. He took his usual route, going through Lake Shore drive and out to Clark. He parked in front on the apartment, leaning back into his seat and was about to take his phone out when the apartment door opened and he looked over, smiling at Maddie who stared at the falling snow and the ground. She rolled her eyes, giving it a disgusted look before looking up and meeting Chase's eyes.

"Can I help you?" She asked as he rolled the window down and smiled.

"Care for a ride?" He asked and she walked over, getting in the warm car. She closed the door, shivering a bit and pulled the seatbelt on.

"So you drove all the way her to drive me to school." Maddie asked and Chase nodded, and pulled out behind a taxi.

"Yes ma'am." He smiled and turned, heading to the University. Maddie hummed in acknowledgement and looked out the window, seeing the building pass by. "You really like Chicago don't you?" Chase asked.

Maddie looked over at him and nodded. "I used to live in the suburbs with my parents, so we usually never came to downtown." She explained. The drive continued, the two being silent until Chase arrived in front of the campus and turned his emergency lights on.

"Here's your stop." Maddie looked at him as she unbuckled herself and smiled a bit.

"Thanks." She grabbed her bag, Chase grabbing her hand before she could leave. She turned to him and yanked her hand back.

"I have an interview today, so if you're going to stop by I won't be there." Maddie eyed him and raised an eyebrow.

"An interview?" She repeated.

"Forbes wants to know what it's like being one of the wealthiest business men in the country as well as being the most eligible bachelor." He winked.

"Wow, most eligible bachelor, you're going to have all the women on you when it comes out." Maddie leaned back against the door.

"Well, not if you decided to be mine." Chase leaned closer. Maddie did as well and looked at him before lightly slapping his cheek.

"Like I would date a pig." She whispered and opened the car door. Chase sighed heavily, shaking his head as he turned his emergency lights off and drove over the building where he was going to have his interview.

***

"And so, with that being said, there's a fine line between being clinically depressed and self-claiming, as we call it." Maddie listened to her psychology teacher before a knock interrupted them and the class turned to the door as a man stepped in. Maddie perked up at his appearance, confused to what he was doing there.

"I apologize about interrupting your class, but I'm in need of Madeline." He spoke. His brown eyes right away seeing her and she glared at him.

"Of course. Maddie?" The teacher spoke and she stood up, pushing past Alexander and stood out in the hall as he closed the door behind him.

"Any reason you're here?" She asked.

"Just wondering about your relationship with Chase." He smirked and walked closer to her.

"Is it really any of your business?" Maddie asked and he shrugged.

"I'm sure my wife told you about his lie." Alexander stopped a foot away from her.

"About him still being engaged?" Maddie asked and he nodded. "She said that he made it up."

"And it's true." Alexander nodded.

"Like I told your wife, it's none of your concern." Maddie snapped and headed back to her class. She swung the door open, closing it behind her and walking back to her chair.

"Boy problems?" The girl next to her whispered and Maddie glared at her before she huffed and leaned back into her seat. Once the class was over, she walked out, heading to the campus and took the bus home.

She kept thinking about what Alexander had said, thinking about all the possibilities of Chase lying before she shook them away, getting off the bus and walking in her apartment.

"Josh?" She called hearing no noise. She sighed and dropped her bag, walking back out the door and heading to the park, next to the Nature Museum. She walked through it, ignoring the wind and snow blowing for a while before sitting on a bench and taking out a cigarette. She lit it carefully, taking a drag before sighing heavily.

'Fuck, I need to find this shit out.'
______

It's been so long so I've written and it feels great to get back in it :D Thank you so much for all the votes and reads! It means a lot and I hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I enjoy writting it!

Lots of love! xx