24: Reunited

"He's coming over later. Ryland invited him for dinner." Esmeralda spoke as she sat on the rocking chair. Maddie was fixing the cabinet where the baby clothes was going to go and took a few steps back, looking over it before turning to the crib that was already built.

"I'll just leave before he gets here." Maddie shrugged and turned to Esmeralda.

"I don't think you know how this has affected his work." Esmeralda looked down and rubbed her belly, rocking back and forth. "He's been snapping at everyone and he fired three people in a week. Maddie, you both need to talk." Maddie sighed, going back to fixing the room. Half an hour later, Esmeralda looked out the window. Large, dark clouds loomed in the sky, raining coming down by the buckets and a few cracks of thundered were heard after the lightening. He eyes moved to the road, the familiar car of Ryland coming down the street and pulling into the driveway had her smile, Chase right behind him in his own car.

"They're here." Maddie hummed in reply and continued to hang to small bird shaped mirrors on the wall, Esmeralda walking downstairs to greet both men.

Ryland walked in with Chase behind him, trudging in and sitting on the couch. "How was work?" Esmeralda smiled and Ryland shook his head, signaling her to not say anything.

"Do you really want to know?" Chase asked, looking up at her.

"If you want to talk about it, then I'm all ears." Chase shook his head and stood up.

"I'm going up to the baby's room; I wanted to fix a couple things." Esmeralda bit her tongue, watching as Chase walked up the stairs.

"What's wrong?" Ryland looked at her.

"Maddie is in the nursery." Ryland nodded. Both of them standing there in silence when Chase and Maddie began shouting.

"Want to get some ice cream?" Ryland asked.

"In this rain?" Esmeralda looked up at Ryland who shrugged. "Sure."

***

Chase stepped foot into the nursery room, the first thing he noticed was the crib already fixed and put on one side. His eyes shifted from the crib to Maddie who stepped off the stool and turned to him. They stared at each other before Maddie turned away and opened a plastic bag, taking out the baby clothes Esmeralda had and began folding them.

"I expected you to return my calls."

"Why would I return your calls?" Maddie snapped.

"Because this isn't over Madeline!" Chase raised his voice.

"It was over the moment I caught you with her in your office!" Maddie yelled.

"It meant nothing Madeline!" Chase yelled, getting tired of the arguments. "Do you not trust me?" Chase asked.

"It's not that!" Maddie yelled, turning to him and standing up. "I don't trust anyone at all!"

"I'm your boyfriend, you should be trusting me of all people!"

"This is complete bullshit! Just leave it alone! I already said we're over and it is!"

"This isn't over Madeline. Don't you dare say that it's over!"

"Great," Scoffed Maddie. "now you're going to force this relationship on when I don't even want it." She turned and looked out the window.

"What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to prove that I don't want them and I don't want anyone else but you?" Chase stared at Maddie who continued to look outside. She didn't say anything, just continued to stare outside before she turned to Chase and shrugged.

"What do you think you should do?" She asked. Chase was quiet. The only sound was the occasional thunder and the sound of rain hitting the window.

"I love you."

Maddie stared at him and dropped her arms to her sides. She shook her head and looked down, Chase walked over to her, standing in front of her. He watched as she looked at the floor, his hand cautiously taking her chin in his and making her look up at him.

"Please, I worked this hard to get you in my life, don't shut me out." Maddie looked at him and shook her head, walking around him.

"Like you said, prove it Simmons." Chase heard her walking away, he clenched his fists and rushed after her. He opened the front door, seeing her on the porch pulling on her jacket.

"I'll prove it to you, I swear Maddie."

Maddie turned to him and took a deep breath. "Make it fast." Chase watched as Maddie walked into the rain, quickly getting wet with how hard it was raining.

"Would it be too cliché if I ran to you and kissed you?" Chase asked. Maddie stopped walking for a couple seconds, before continuing back to her house.