35: A Day Off

Maddie walked downstairs, rubbing her eyes and looking for Chase. She had woken up to find the spot next to her untouched and changed into her workout clothes, walking downstairs to find him sleeping on the couch, phone in hand. Maddie smiled a bit, going to the hall closet and finding a thin blanket. She draped it over him, plugging her earbuds into her phone and walking out of his house.

Chase woke up to a thin, brown blanket over him and a sleeping Jasey on top of his laptop. He sat up, looking around at the empty and quiet house. He rubbed his eyes, sitting back on the couch and stretching, his back popping a bit as Maddie walked in through the front door. She had her headphones plugged in, Chase being able to hear her music from his spot on the couch.

She closed the door, pulling down her work out shirt down from running up to the house. Maddie caught Chase's eye as she turned around and took out her earbuds. "Morning," she walked past him, ruffling his hair. Chase heard her enter the downstairs bathroom and he continued to sit in the living room in silence until Maddie walked out again, showered and wearing the sundress that Esmeralda and Ryland had given her on Christmas.

"Aren't you going to get dressed? I'm hungry and if you're not ready in five minutes I'm leaving without you."

Chase chuckled and got up, kissing her cheek as he passed her and up to his room. He shower, pulled on a pair of jeans with a t-shirt and his shoes. He walked down and the two walked to the restaurant, which Maddie had decided that it was too nice to drive there.

"Can I get you two anything to drink while you look at your menus?" A waiter asked the two as Maddie looked over her menu and Chase was on his phone answering emails.

"Coffee is good for the both of us." Chase answered and the waitress nodded, filling both their cups and walking away. "Anything catch your attention?"

"Breakfast is a gift from the Gods and I'm going to thank them by eating everything." Maddie spoke, folding the menu and preparing her coffee as Chase did the same. "Anything you're eyeing?"

"Pancakes or french toast." Maddie raised her eyebrows, nodding her head drinking her coffee as Chase continued looking at his menu.

"Ready?" The waiter asked and Chase nodded.

"French toast with a side of hash browns."

"A cheese omelette, an order of french toast and pancakes, and a side of bacon."

The waiter took down the orders, walking away. "I would ask if you would really eat all that but I think I would much rather see it for myself."

Maddie smiled at Chase when their food arrived, Chase finishing his share as Maddie had finished her omelette and hash browns. He watched as she happily ate all the food, finishing her third cup of coffee and all the food. Chase paid the bill, the two going back to the car and picking up Jasey and Parker before going back out.

"You know, I always told myself that I was never going to be one of those women who would put their dogs in the purses and go walk around town, but here I am, holding my cat as you walk your dog on a leash in the middle of Chicago."

Chase smiled at Maddie, Parker walking in front of them as the four headed to the park by the lake. Parker ran around, Jasey rushing to the shade and curling into a ball.

"So, what do we do?" Maddie asked, looking at Chase who was on his phone. "Work..." She mumbled to herself.

"I'm replying to emails and after that we can go to the bench and talk." Chase chuckled, hearing her mumble.

"You work way too much." Maddie walked to the bench, feeling uncomfortable in her sundress but still decided to send Esmeralda a picture of her wearing it.