Chapter 1

Harry and I were never the closest of friends. Once in a while we would see each other in the corridors or in the common room and say hi, but other than that, we barely interacted.

I've always been best friends with Luna, Ginny, and Neville though. We've been extremely close since first year, and we practically did everything together.

I've also always had a slight crush on Harry. It wasn't anything huge, just that he was attractive. That's all I knew about him really.

"Hey Jocelyn!"

I whipped my head around in shock, I hadn't heard anyone call me Jocelyn since first year. Considering I hated my name, Jocie was the best alternative. I told everyone I knew to call me by it, even the professors.

As I spun around to see who had called my name, my jaw almost dropped as I saw Harry jogging towards me.

I never knew how beautiful he was, but to be fair, we've never even been within 6 feet of each other. However I constantly stared at him whenever I got the chance. I absolutely adored the way his hair flopped around, and the way his eyes always had a specific gleam to them. Every single flaw of his, I found rather precious. Although these thoughts I would never say out loud.

"Hi Harry, what's up?" I tried to say as casually as I could.

"Uh- erm, Hi. I was just wondering if you would um- liketogototheyuleballwithme."

My heart stopped. I'm not sure if it was because I could barely make out what he said, or because I was pretty sure he just asked me to go to the ball with him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch that," I responded.

"Right, sorry. I was wondering if you would want to go to the Yule Ball with me?"

"Um- yeah, that would be nice."

I could feel my cheeks start to warm up, and I couldn't have been more embarrassed.

"Okay great, I'll see you tomorrow night then!"

I smiled as I nodded my head in response, and he jogged away. I stood there with my mouth hanging slightly open, as I was at a loss for words, but the realization hit me a few seconds later.

I was going to the Yule Ball with Harry.

"I have to go tell Luna," I whispered to myself.

I nearly ran down the halls trying to find her, but accidentally collided into Neville.

"Oh! Sorry Neville!"

"Oh that's alright. What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just- have you seen Luna?" I asked frantically.

"Yeah, I think she went to the gryffindor common room to look for you," he replied.

"Oh great, thanks!"

That time I ran, I didn't want to miss her.

"Hello Jocie."

I quickly turned around to see Luna standing there in a rather odd position, shoeless.

"Luna! There you are, I've been looking for you everywhere!" I remarked.

"Is something wrong?" She asked, sounding genuinely worried.

"No, of course not. I just wanted to tell you that I finally got a date to the ball, with Harry Potter," I boasted with a small smile on my face.

"Oh! That's wonderful!"

"I know! I was worried I was going to have to go alone. That reminds me, who are you going with?"

"I've been meaning to tell you, me and Neville thought it would be best to go as friends, if that's alright with you. We assumed you would get a date sooner or later."

"Yeah that's perfectly fine. But I have to go pick out my dress, so I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay. I should probably do that too," she said with a quirky smile on her face.

She started to skip away as I headed up to the gryffindor common room and into my dorm.

"Hey Ginny. What are you doing currently?" I asked while I held my breath in hopes she wasn't busy.

She turned her head around and I immediately knew something was wrong. Her eyes were red and puffy and she was sniffling deeply.

"Ginny, what happened?"

"Nothing, it's not a big deal."

I sat down on her bed and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Talk to me."

"Draco asked me to go to the Yule Ball with him, and I said yes, of course. I don't really care who I go with. But Ron does. He screamed at me. And normally I would've fought back but this- this is different. I got myself so worked up about having a stupid date and I felt so much relief when I was finally asked, and Ron just ruined it."

I looked down at the bed we were sitting on and took a deep breath. I genuinely felt bad for her. I really couldn't care less that she was going with Draco, as long as she happy.

I knew I had to say something, but I had absolutely no time to think of the right words to say, so I just blurted out whatever came into my mind first. Which probably wasn't the best decision.

"Ron seriously has anger issues.. but you know Draco is actually a really bad person-"

"I know he is! I really don't care! Ron already yelled at me for this. I don't need to hear it again."

She got up from the bed and slammed the door shut as she stomped out.

"Ginny wait!"

But I knew that even if she did hear me, she wouldn't have answered.

I couldn't decide whether it was best to leave her alone or not, but something was telling me I shouldn't, so I went back down to the common room.

As I stepped in, I didn't see Ginny in sight, but I did see Harry sitting on the couch, studying.

authors note:
i will not be following the story line of the Harry Potter series, so you'll notice a lot of differences. ex: a Yule Ball every year, Cedric being in the same year as Harry, etc. also ignore how poorly written the next few chapters are-