chapter one

It was raining outside.Nature was promising

a gloomy and thunderous night. Jennifer was gazing through the office window,wondering how to get home in such an awful weather. Everyone at work had been dismissed hours ago,and she was left alone because of some suspended work. She looked at her watch and discovered that it was 9 p.m..She was late.

   After she locked up the office ,she went down the elevator praying that she could find a taxi at such a time. She was walking on the sidewalk when suddenly a car stopped. Without thinking or even checking if its a cab or not ,Jenny jumped into the back seat and told the driver her destination.

"Oh",she thought,"Jim would have been angry if she hadn't finish the company's budget on time. Thanks God,she did!".

  She was begining to yawn ,then she realized that this was not the way home."hey,Mister. You're mistaken . This is not Agnes street!".

The man looked at her through the mirror and gave her a cold nasty look that made her tremble. She realized the situation she had dumped herself in when the cab stopped in a very dark avenue.

She managed to escape ,but the man was faster than her. He grabbed her shoulder as she was trying to open the cab door. He tried to push her towards him . Jenny cried hysterically and called for help. She used all her womanly weapons( her nails to scratch his face ,and her teeth to bite his hands ) . She was beginning to lose her strength when a blow from nowhere stroke the man's head and surprized him for a second that was enough to free Jenny.

When she overcame her fear ,she realized that there was a fight between those two strangers ,her saviour and her attacker, taking place. She couldnt look any longer at such a brutal fight,so she closed her eyes. Her ears caught a sound of stillness denoting the end of the fight, and a voice speaking tenderly asked :" Are you okay ,miss?".

Quickly she opened her eyes to see that the speaker was the stranger who had saved her life.

"What?oh!yes...thank you."

"No big deal. But i'm wondering at the reason that drives a pretty girl like you to ride with such a scounderel at such a time?."

She looked at him and saw a suspicious look passing through his big beautiful hazel eyes.

"I... I finished work late ...and i thought it was a cab...and I..."she stammered.

"Never mind,"he interrupted her firmly,"You"ll explain this to court."

"Court!!...No I dont want to ...."

"Listen Lady!",the man said fiercely,"This man is a dangerous criminal and the police has been chasing him for months. Now if you don't mind,all we want from you is to testify against him in court".

"We!".

"Excuse my lack of manners. I am Sergeant Blake O'neil and this man is the famous thief Zafar Rodrigue accused of thirteen robberies ,a first degree crime and recently a sexual harrassment,". Jenny could touch the note of irony in his words. She looked at his eyes and all she saw was either pity or scorn ,she couldn't decide which.

Cordially she said :"Jennifer Cord at your service ,Sir."

"I think i"ll do everyrhing it takes to lead this man to jail."

"Yes ,yes, the citizen's loyalty. I have always admired it ,even if it comes from a ....,,".He left his sentence unfinished ,but jenny could catch the rest of it from his scorned tone. She opened her mouth to defend herself but at that moment ,many police cars arrived at the crime scene. Policemen came to question her but she couldnot answer them because she was full of rage and anger. All she did was following with her eyes Oneil's back as he was leaving. She wished her eyes were darts to penetrate his back and she kept watching until he disappeared into one of the cars.