16- Penny & Dancing

Hey, author here. I'm sorry I took so long to update; my world has been absolutely insane lately and I've had both no time nor motivation to write. But, I'm back, and everything in my life is okay for now.

also, if you like this story, please vote :) 

That's all for now. Enjoy!

******

As I walk toward the edge of the forest, in my nicest spring dress, I think over and over in my head:

I like Sebastian. I like him a lot. Oh, gosh, I like Sebastian. 

Nearly tripping, I hear a laugh. It's Leah, wearing a pretty dress. I grin cheekily at her.

"Oh, hey, Leah," I say, stopping to let her catch up to me. She loops her arm with mine.

"Are you excited?" She says, looking happy. Her bright orange hair is braided over her shoulder.

"I suppose so. I'm not sure what to expect."

"Well, I hope you have fun anyway! Now, let's get there!"

*******

As we enter a side of the forest I've never seen before, first I notice Pierre's booth. I guess he likes to profit off of town events. Smart. Maybe I should try that.

Upon seeing Elliott, Leah pulls us towards him. He's wearing some type of suit, and when he sees us, he grins. Leah releases my arm.

"Ah, Francesca! It's nice to see you here!" He says, touching my shoulder. I smile warmly.

"Yeah, I think I'll have fun," I say, glancing around. Some of the younger girls are wearing the dresses that Leah wears and the younger boys wear the same suit as Elliott. Everyone stays to the edge of a large opening, except for Haley, who dances in the middle of it. Marnie and Lewis are talking, as well as Sam, Sebastian, and Abigail. Penny stands looking lonely, despite being beside Maru. I make a mental note to talk to her.

I look back to Leah and Elliott.

"This is a partner dance, right?" I ask. They nod, look at each other, and giggle a bit. 

"Yeah. It's silly. Elliott and I are usually partners," Leah clarifies, elbowing Elliott. He nods.

"Do you think I should try to find a partner?" I ask, looking around at everyone here again. Almost everyone from town is here, it seems. 

"You can. Most of us, though, have had the same partner for years. I don't know if anyone will say yes to you," Elliott replies. I nod.

"Well. I'm going to go partner hunting, then," I say, and start to turn to leave.

"Good luck!" Leah calls. 

First, I approach Shane, as after I made eye contact with him, he immediately looked away. That invites me in, of course. Muah hah.

"Hey, Shane!" I say, grinning at him. He raises his eyebrows.

"Hello." He takes a sip of his drink. I can smell it from here.

"Wanna dance with me?" I ask, smiling brightly. He shakes his head, and I frown. 

"Do you even know the dance?" He says, his eyebrows furrowed. I shuffle my feet.

"Er- no..."

"Right. No, I don't want to dance with you," He says, rudely, taking another swig of his drink. 

"Jeez..." I mumble. 

Then, he sets his drink down, and grabs a cup. He pours something in it and hands it to me.