21- Begone!

Warning; abusive guy comes back. If this is going to bother you, skip it. 

Francesca's POV

I tried to sleep, but my mind raced so fast that eventually I gave up. I kept peering out of the windows, trying to see the eyes again. I never did, but it didn't stop me from looking.

I waited and waited for the sun to come up, and finally, once it did, it casted a glow upon the sleeping, handsome Sebastian.

Gah. No. Not handsome. I don't like him anymore. 

Okay. It's a work in progress. 

It's a relief to know that if everything goes right, that I'll be safe from James for the rest of my life. I don't quite know how the wizard's magic works, but I remember the potion he gave me and how I could read the language of the Junimos.

Shit! The Junimos!

I've been so preoccupied that I've not worked as hard as I should to complete their bundles. I mean, I've made some serious progress, and I can't complete all of it until the year is over as I need some foraging items from other seasons.

Jinkies.

I've felt tension lately-- for obvious reasons, of course-- and now that the end is in sight, I've noticed how I really haven't spent any time with my friends. And, when I have seen them, I've been rude. 

Sheeeeesh. What have I become?

I sigh, a little louder than I intend to,  and I hear Sebastian stir. I turn to him, to see his eyes open slowly, and after a moment, they met mine.

"Good morning," I mumble, turning back to the window. The sun has risen much more now; the rooster crows.

"Morning," Sebastian responds, and I hear him sit up. I can't help but feel embarrassed; he's been here for too long. I don't mind him, really, but now I feel bad for him. He's spent all of his time here, and I've pulled him away from all of his responsibilities. I feel bad and awkward; I know, though, that if I say anything, I'll feel even worse.

It's time for him to go. I want him to stay, but the guilt I feel is immeasurable.

"Did you sleep?" He asks. I look to him.

No, not at all. "Yeah, a little."

He nods. We don't say anything else.

I can't believe I've kept him here all this time. 

Okay, Fran, stop it. Enough.

"You okay?" He asks, and I nod.

He doesn't ask again, but I hear him get up.

"Want anything to eat?" Sebastian asks from slightly farther away than before. 

I shake my head.

He gives me a look, then walks over. My heart leaps. Slowly, he sits down next to me.

I watch him. 

"Fran, everything's going to be okay," He says, gently touching my hand. My heart leaps again. 

No, no. I don't like him anymore. 

Then, he gives me a smile and bumps his shoulder against mine. I can't help but give in to a little smile.

"There we go. That's better. You've been so bummed out lately. I hardly recognize you," he jokes, and I let my smile widen. Then, his face drops.

"Oh shit," He says, facepalming. I frown.

"What is it?"

"Today's Maru's birthday. I totally forgot," He says, frowning. 

An idea pops in my head. "Is there anything in particular she likes?"

He stops for a moment, thinking. His hair looks puffy. "Uh.. Cauliflower, I think."

I grin, realizing I have one in my chest. I spring over to it, opening it and looking inside, and I pull one out.

"Tada!" I exclaim, and he grins.

"This is awesome! Thank you!" He excitedly says, hurriedly taking it from me. 

He looks to the door, then back at me, and his face goes blank. I realize his internal conflict, and smile.

"Go. I'll be fine for twenty minutes. This is important," I tell him. He steps toward the door, but hesitates.

"I don't know... I promised I'd stay with you, keep you here, and stuff..." He mumbles unsure.

I roll my eyes a little, still smiling. "I'm not going anywhere. Seriously. It's fine. Go."

He hesitates once more, and then smiles. "Alright. I'll be back. I'll tell her it's from both of us," He says, then scurries off.

The door nearly echoes as he's gone. It's quiet now, and I sit alone on the floor of my cabin. It's cold.

Maybe I would feel better if I just apologized for keeping him here for so long. There's really no reason for me to ball up all these emotions. I feel so weighed down; when I got here first, I was anxious, but I felt free. I made friends, and I was happy. Now I'm all upset and irritable, and I'm tired of it.

Alright. I'll apologize when he gets back. Maybe then I can just work on being his friend,  and put all this nonsense behind me. Then I'll get over any feelings for him and just have a normal, good friendship. 

I smile a little to myself. Good plan.

For a moment, my instinct is to get up and go outside to start chores. But then I pause, remembering that I am not to leave my cabin.

Sigh. I mean, it couldn't really hurt to go outside just a little, right?

No, I should definitely wait. Sigh, pt. 2.

I stand, deciding I should probably clean up the cabin a bit. It isn't particularly messy or anything, but it's about time that I pick up a little.

I kick some shoes under my bed and replace the blankets. I wipe off the table, clean the dust off of the top of the TV, and clean the windows. It looks better already.

As I'm sweeping, a knock on the door startles me. Must be Emily, or maybe Sebastian trying not to surprise me by just opening the door, so I go over, and open it.

Mistake.

My eyes widen as I take in the figure before me. Anger and fear fills me so intensely that I'm nearly dizzy.

James.

He grins wildly.

"Here you are, Francesca. I've been watching you. Let's go home--" He grabs my wrist, and I frantically rip it away.

"No! Leave me alone!" I shout at him, tripping. He grabs me before I can fall by both wrists. I struggle, and start to scream, but his hand covers my mouth. 

"Don't be like that. Shut up-- We're going!" He grunts, pulling me from out of the house, but I bite his palm, and he releases me. 

"Gah! You BITCH!" He shouts, charging towards me again. I run back and pick up a chair  from the table.

"HELP!" I scream and launch the chair towards him. He dodges it easily, and comes toward me again. I reach behind me and grab a glass cup, throwing it at his head. It shatters, and he screams, grabbing at a sudden gash in his forehead. He starts charging at me again, grabbing the chair I threw at him.

"HELP!" I call out again, and he throws the chair at me. It slams against my chest, and I'm pushed against the wall. I fall, feeling hot liquid on my head, and cough, calling out for help again, but it's weak.

I try to pull myself to my feet, but my body doesn't move, and angrily, I watch James stumble toward me.

"Help," I choke out again, but I can hardly even hear myself. 

"No one's coming for you," James growls, and the last thing I see is his foot coming directly towards my head.